Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1097444 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #1665 on: May 08, 2010, 10:27:56 AM »
Is KFOG still doing "My Three Songs"? I notice that The Band is copying that for their station.

afaik, AL still does it every afternoon.  When does the Band do it, and do they call it that, or give it a different name? (KPIG does it in the morning and calls it "What's the Connection?", which is what Live 105 used to call it back in the day.

I forgot what they call it but on Thursday, they did it exactly at 3 PM.

Wow, I'll have to remember to check that out next week. From a radio standpoint, it's smart of them, as the 2 stations are next to each other on the dial; you could hear all three songs without realizing you're listening to the Band instead of KFOG. But from an originality standpoint...
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

SFGuy

« Reply #1666 on: May 08, 2010, 04:45:04 PM »
Is KFOG still doing "My Three Songs"? I notice that The Band is copying that for their station.

afaik, AL still does it every afternoon.  When does the Band do it, and do they call it that, or give it a different name? (KPIG does it in the morning and calls it "What's the Connection?", which is what Live 105 used to call it back in the day.

I forgot what they call it but on Thursday, they did it exactly at 3 PM.

Wow, I'll have to remember to check that out next week. From a radio standpoint, it's smart of them, as the 2 stations are next to each other on the dial; you could hear all three songs without realizing you're listening to the Band instead of KFOG. But from an originality standpoint...

Looked it up on their website. It's called "Common Thread @ 3". Last week's prize was tickets to Foreigner, Styx and Kansas concert.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: May 11, 2010, 09:52:25 AM »
for gawd's sake, KFOG, how old is this "for gawd's sake, dear" song ("Just Say Yes" is the actual title -- Snow Patrol, or Cold Playtrol as I call them)? And it's still in heavy rotation?

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: May 12, 2010, 12:03:11 PM »
My latest gripe.  On their Facebook and Twitter, KFOG has been going on about the opening act for Kaboom: From FB Monday at 3PM: "Grace Potter & Nocturnals are the opening act for KaBoom on May 22nd! Sold out the Fillmore last time they were in town. Get your tickets today!"

But have they played her music since then?  NOPE.  Hell, could you even call her a KFOG artist?  NOPE.  The Foglist shows she get's played *MAYBE* 3-4 times a month, during New Music Thursday Ghettos or the Side Show Ghettos.  But other than that, she's lucky to get played once a month.  And if they do add her to the rotation leading up to Kaboom, what are the chances she'll get any airplay after the fireworks are over?  That's right, ZERO.

Damnit I'll take Grace Potter over frigging Sheryl Crow any day of the week.  C'mon, get some new blood in there.  Hell, she should satisfy even you Corinne Bailey Rae and Norah Jones haters.  ;-}

Well, at least Grace Potter's management is responding in kind.  They've not listed Kaboom on their tourdates.

http://www.gracepotter.com/

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: May 12, 2010, 12:14:43 PM »
Re: Grace Potter & The Nocturnals -- ugh, I've gotta say thought that their new single "Tiny Light" is pretty meh.  I much prefer stuff like "Ah Mary":  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVddqalx9gg

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: May 12, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »

Damnit I'll take Grace Potter over frigging Sheryl Crow any day of the week.  C'mon, get some new blood in there.  Hell, she should satisfy even you Corinne Bailey Rae and Norah Jones haters.  ;-}

You mean Mike?
Let's get right to it.

SFGuy

« Reply #1671 on: May 13, 2010, 02:31:24 AM »
KNBR is advertising KFOG Kaboom but not listing it as "KFOG Kaboom" only as Kaboom even though both stations are owned by the same company.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: May 20, 2010, 09:54:11 AM »
Just hear the *other* Train song, "Save Me San Francisco" for the first time -- much to my surprise, I kinda like. A little Stones-y. (and I guarantee it's part of the Kaboom sndtk) Sure, I'll get totally sick of it after they flog it incessantly for the next 3 months, but a welcome change from "Hey Soul Sistah, you're makin' my ears blistah"

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: May 20, 2010, 10:08:32 AM »
Just hear the *other* Train song, "Save Me San Francisco" for the first time -- much to my surprise, I kinda like. A little Stones-y. (and I guarantee it's part of the Kaboom sndtk) Sure, I'll get totally sick of it after they flog it incessantly for the next 3 months, but a welcome change from "Hey Soul Sistah, you're makin' my ears blistah"

I had the exact same reaction - they were going for an Exile St. sound, and damn near pulled it off.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: May 20, 2010, 10:12:58 AM »

I had the exact same reaction - they were going for an Exile St. sound, and damn near pulled it off.

one more for that "imitation Stones" set!  (Soup Dragons "Divine Thing", Eurythmics "I Need a Man", MJ's "Black & White"...)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: May 20, 2010, 10:41:13 AM »

one more for that "imitation Stones" set!  (Soup Dragons "Divine Thing", Eurythmics "I Need a Man", MJ's "Black & White"...)

World Party, too. Woowooo!
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: May 20, 2010, 10:42:40 AM »

World Party, too. Woowooo!

Ben Harper, "Burn to Shine."
Dandy Warhols, "Bohemian Like You"
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: May 22, 2010, 04:47:24 PM »
Damn, it's rather chilly out there. "near record low temperatures" sez the Weather Channel. Gonna be positively FROZEN at the 'stick tonite.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: May 22, 2010, 09:25:54 PM »
Damn, it's rather chilly out there. "near record low temperatures" sez the Weather Channel. Gonna be positively FROZEN at the 'stick tonite.

the KaBOOM sndtk:

something short and classical sounding (or movie theme?) to start
Beatles, "RnR Music"
DMB, "Why I Am"
"Killer Queen" (well, it's one of their most-overplayed "classics" evah)
Lady Gaga! "PokerFace"
Guns'n'Roses "Live & Let Die"
AAACK! "Hey Soul Sistah"
Ree-Ree, "Think"
Coldplay, "Fix You"
Little Feat, "Let it Roll"
Who, "Won't Get Fooled Again"

all truncated versions, obviously.  Lady Gaga walks away with this year's OMGWTFLOL Award. Did I mis-time it, or was that the shortest one they've ever done? Seemed like 15-16 minutes, tops.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 09:46:24 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: May 26, 2010, 09:13:12 PM »
Did I mis-time it, or was that the shortest one they've ever done? Seemed like 15-16 minutes, tops.

KFOG has the KABOOM video up on their website -- guess I was right, it was almost exactly 14 minutes. That's the shortest one that I can recall -- they were usually closer to 20 iirc, and the first year they charged admission they made a big deal about how the fireworks would be "longer", and they were what, 22 minutes?