Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1097440 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #1635 on: April 05, 2010, 12:26:52 PM »
Hey, I just posted this to that long bitchy thread about the Kaboom move to Candlestick:

I hear that The City didn't want it anymore. :-/

How did I get this impression?  Did somebody here talk about it?  Was it in the news elsewhere?  Or did I just make it up?

Depends on what "want" means.  I'm sure the city (and the downtown merchants) loved the extra tax revenue, permit fees, etc.  I understood it as a safety issue, as the piers are aging.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: April 06, 2010, 11:35:58 AM »
I found it myself, forgot to follow up here:

Quote from: me
Huh. Apparently the move is due to a safety issue. The Pier buckled under the weight of a big truck carrying heavy equipment (portapotties?), so the Port of SF is disallowing it: http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/Safety-issues-drive-KaBoom-concert-to-new-venue-87742357.html

Apparently renting out Candlestick costs KFOG a lot more, payable to SF Rec and Park: http://www.sfexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/under-the-dome/KaBooms-move-was-costly-89695717.html

I guess the problem is that the event is now just too big to hold anywhere else.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: April 06, 2010, 11:47:50 AM »

Huh. Apparently the move is due to a safety issue. The Pier buckled under the weight of a big truck carrying heavy equipment (portapotties?), so the Port of SF is disallowing it: http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/Safety-issues-drive-KaBoom-concert-to-new-venue-87742357.html

Apparently renting out Candlestick costs KFOG a lot more, payable to SF Rec and Park: http://www.sfexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/under-the-dome/KaBooms-move-was-costly-89695717.html

I guess the problem is that the event is now just too big to hold anywhere else.

Interesting that the articles say that KaBoom was attended by "20,000" -- presumably that's the number of paying customers. The crowd estimates along the Embarc were always in the hundreds of thousands.  My question is, is there anywhere at Candlestick Pt for non-ticketed folks to go?  It's not clear to me how things are laid out there, it's been years since I was in that parking lot.  And it's the gawkers who are going to create the traffic jam, methinks.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: April 06, 2010, 10:03:57 PM »

Interesting that the articles say that KaBoom was attended by "20,000" -- presumably that's the number of paying customers. The crowd estimates along the Embarc were always in the hundreds of thousands.  My question is, is there anywhere at Candlestick Pt for non-ticketed folks to go?  It's not clear to me how things are laid out there, it's been years since I was in that parking lot.  And it's the gawkers who are going to create the traffic jam, methinks.

What I'm still a little unclear on is what constitutes "Candlestick Point." Do they mean the park on the water outside the stadium? I didn't think it was all that big, and it's also state property, iirc, not the city's. Or do they mean the parking lot of the stadium? Gee, that'll be comfy (not that the pier was all padded or parklike). Or will it be in Candlestick Park proper? But then why aren't they calling a spade a spade, errr, a stadium a stadium?

Also, and perhaps this has been answered and I missed it: Who pockets the $15 per car parking fee? My money's on SF Park & Rec.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 10:11:21 PM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: April 07, 2010, 08:35:00 AM »
Friday is another Request-O-Rama-O-Rama day on the Morning Show; celebrating the Giants home opener (and giving away tix) with all baseball trivia questions.  Matt Nathanson will make an appearance -- he's singing the anthem at AT&T Park Fri nite.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: April 07, 2010, 10:54:00 AM »
Friday is another Request-O-Rama-O-Rama day on the Morning Show; celebrating the Giants home opener (and giving away tix) with all baseball trivia questions.  Matt Nathanson will make an appearance -- he's singing the anthem at AT&T Park Fri nite.

well, of course we have to hear They Might Be Giants...
~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: April 07, 2010, 11:08:31 PM »

Interesting that the articles say that KaBoom was attended by "20,000" -- presumably that's the number of paying customers. The crowd estimates along the Embarc were always in the hundreds of thousands.  My question is, is there anywhere at Candlestick Pt for non-ticketed folks to go?  It's not clear to me how things are laid out there, it's been years since I was in that parking lot.  And it's the gawkers who are going to create the traffic jam, methinks.

What I'm still a little unclear on is what constitutes "Candlestick Point." Do they mean the park on the water outside the stadium? I didn't think it was all that big, and it's also state property, iirc, not the city's. Or do they mean the parking lot of the stadium? Gee, that'll be comfy (not that the pier was all padded or parklike). Or will it be in Candlestick Park proper? But then why aren't they calling a spade a spade, errr, a stadium a stadium?

Also, and perhaps this has been answered and I missed it: Who pockets the $15 per car parking fee? My money's on SF Park & Rec.

Just read thru the Kaboom FAQ on KFOG's site. "Candlestick Point" = Candlestick Parking lot. Nice spin, there, guys.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: April 08, 2010, 07:46:50 AM »
Just read thru the Kaboom FAQ on KFOG's site. "Candlestick Point" = Candlestick Parking lot. Nice spin, there, guys.

Hee. Actually that is technically what the whole area is called -- remember when the stadium became "Monster Park at Candlestick Point"?  But yeah, it makes it sound like it's happening in a larger, more scenic space.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: April 09, 2010, 12:09:14 AM »
I guess I'm surprised at the price because I've been able to win Kaboom Box tickets at least 2-3 times, and back in the dot-com era, I won place on one of the many sponsored ferries KFOG had out on the water to watch the show.  The downside to the Ferry was that we missed seeing Kenny Wayne Shepherd cause the boat took off during his set.  Oh boo hoo.  ;-}  (AtomicTangerine.com)

Also, on Piers 30/32, the Kaboom Box was well-located for fireworks-viewing, but pretty lousy for the music.  So we staked out a spot close to the stage, and then shuttled back and forth.  Kind of a pain.  Again, boo hoo.

(Seems like having the stage and fireworks at opposite ends makes sense though, because otherwise the stage blocks the fireworks for a large part of the audience.)
Many years ago I also won a ride on the ferry (blue and gold) but missed seeing Boz cuz we were out in the water. Another year in the box which was a real treat b/c it was catered and free drinks. Very cool. I hve given up on Kaboom for the last few years and the Stick does not entice me.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: April 12, 2010, 10:39:45 AM »
Have y'all noticed that the Kaboom promos now call the location "the lot at Candlestick Park" -- sudden honesty, or maybe they were threatened with being called out for false advertising?

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: April 12, 2010, 10:57:17 AM »
Have y'all noticed that the Kaboom promos now call the location "the lot at Candlestick Park" -- sudden honesty, or maybe they were threatened with being called out for false advertising?

Or a deluge of complaints from Fogheads who, like me, first thought they meant the park on the water, and got pissed when they found out where it *really* was. Which I guess is a combo of both your suggestions.
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: April 12, 2010, 11:09:42 AM »

Or a deluge of complaints from Fogheads who, like me, first thought they meant the park on the water, and got pissed when they found out where it *really* was. Which I guess is a combo of both your suggestions.

yup, just heard that on the stream.  They should just start calling it the KFOG KaPut!

I would Facebook this on the KFOG site, but I'm not a "fan" of theirs.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 11:52:58 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: April 12, 2010, 11:15:06 AM »

yup, just heard that on the stream.  They should just start calling the KFOG KaPut!

well, believe me, they've taken a TON of crap on FB about the Kaboom-doggle. Bet they're sorry they set up a FB page for the station.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: April 12, 2010, 11:17:38 AM »

yup, just heard that on the stream.  They should just start calling the KFOG KaPut!

well, believe me, they've taken a TON of crap on FB about the Kaboom-doggle. Bet they're sorry they set up a FB page for the station.

Shall we take bets as to whether Kaboom returns to Candlestick next year? Or if perhaps this is the end of Kaboom entirely?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: April 12, 2010, 11:40:11 AM »

Shall we take bets as to whether Kaboom returns to Candlestick next year? Or if perhaps this is the end of Kaboom entirely?

I had the same thought.  A lot depends on a) how many tix they sell, compared to previous years; and b) how much of a traffic clusterfuck the new site does or doesn't produce. I'm imagining quite a mess down there, even if everybody carpools.