Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1097399 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #1590 on: March 05, 2010, 09:45:25 AM »
Request-O-rama-O-Rama in full swing: someone asked for and got "S&D&RnR". Cake of Liberty for breakfast!

ETA: the Ian Dury biopic, with Andy Serkis (aka Gollum from LOTR) has gotten excellent reviews in the UK.

Wonder what Ian would think of his life being immortalized on film?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: March 05, 2010, 09:50:29 AM »
Request-O-rama-O-Rama in full swing: someone asked for and got "S&D&RnR". Cake of Liberty for breakfast!

ETA: the Ian Dury biopic, with Andy Serkis (aka Gollum from LOTR) has gotten excellent reviews in the UK.

Wonder what Ian would think of his life being immortalized on film?

he'd find it a reason to be cheerful, no doubt!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: March 10, 2010, 08:13:23 AM »
KFOG has announced (re-announced?) the date for Kaboom! -- it's now Sat. May 22nd. No acts mentioned yet.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: March 10, 2010, 08:23:29 PM »
KFOG has announced (re-announced?) the date for Kaboom! -- it's now Sat. May 22nd. No acts mentioned yet.

Oh, and today's KFOG e-mail says they're moving it to a different location -- they've decided the traditional Piers 32/33 are no longer big enuf.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: March 10, 2010, 08:41:10 PM »

Oh, and today's KFOG e-mail says they're moving it to a different location -- they've decided the traditional Piers 32/33 are no longer big enuf.

KFOG.com says

"We had a good run at Piers 30/32, but the Port of San Francisco recently announced that the Piers could no longer support the heavy equipment and vehicles necessary to produce large events like KFOG KaBoom, so stay tuned for a special announcement about a new venue for KFOG KaBoom 2010, coming soon!"

check out what this wikipedia entry says about Kaboom:

"...San Francisco residents living near the Kaboom site are routinely taken by surprise and extremely alarmed by the noise, which sounds like San Francisco is being bombed."

~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: March 10, 2010, 09:49:00 PM »

KFOG.com says

"We had a good run at Piers 30/32, but the Port of San Francisco recently announced that the Piers could no longer support the heavy equipment and vehicles necessary to produce large events like KFOG KaBoom, so stay tuned for a special announcement about a new venue for KFOG KaBoom 2010, coming soon!"

"...San Francisco residents living near the Kaboom site are routinely taken by surprise and extremely alarmed by the noise, which sounds like San Francisco is being bombed."

Guess that means the Vans Warped Tour will be moving as well.

So where do you think they'll move it to? I'd say Marina Green or GGP, but both those would be a traffic nightmares, as there's not readily available mass-transit on the scale of what they had on the Embarcadero. And the residents of the Sunset/Richmond would scream at another late night event bringing thousands of people to their neighborhoods. It's gotta be someplace transit-friendly--that was one of the best things about the Pier 30/32 site. On the other hand, they could just give in to the auto-centric masses and have it at Candlestick.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: March 11, 2010, 07:38:29 AM »
So where do you think they'll move it to? I'd say Marina Green or GGP, but both those would be a traffic nightmares, as there's not readily available mass-transit on the scale of what they had on the Embarcadero. And the residents of the Sunset/Richmond would scream at another late night event bringing thousands of people to their neighborhoods. It's gotta be someplace transit-friendly--that was one of the best things about the Pier 30/32 site. On the other hand, they could just give in to the auto-centric masses and have it at Candlestick.

Not to mention that anything other than downtown means no more going up to Twin Peaks to watch the Fireworks from afar.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: March 11, 2010, 10:06:11 AM »

Not to mention that anything other than downtown means no more going up to Twin Peaks to watch the Fireworks from afar.

Is Jack London Square feasible? Is it big enough? It's a bit of a hike from BART, but doable for able-bodied folks, I think. And can they block access to keep non-ticketholders from crashing?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: March 11, 2010, 10:11:10 AM »

Jeez, when was that written? after 15+ years you'd think folks wouldn't be "taken by surprise" -- and they do fireworks at AT&T Park several times a year; Kaboom isn't any louder that that.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: March 11, 2010, 10:18:32 AM »

Jeez, when was that written? after 15+ years you'd think folks wouldn't be "taken by surprise" -- and they do fireworks at AT&T Park several times a year; Kaboom isn't any louder that that.

And in the grand scheme of things, Fleet Week and the accompanying Blue Angels draw much more ire from the locals. As it should.
Let's get right to it.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: March 11, 2010, 10:45:42 AM »
Just consulted the Giants sched. They are on the road that day (in Oakland, so "road" is a relative term), but that would open up AT&T park as a potential site. I'm sure the Giants would love to have some sort of event to lease the park as well as earn then some concession revenue.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: March 11, 2010, 10:49:32 AM »
Just consulted the Giants sched. They are on the road that day (in Oakland, so "road" is a relative term), but that would open up AT&T park as a potential site. I'm sure the Giants would love to have some sort of event to lease the park as well as earn then some concession revenue.

How many "paying" patrons has Kaboom attracted the last couple years? it drew upwards of 300,000 when it was free, no? (and non-payers still went to the Embarc to gawk for free)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: March 11, 2010, 11:17:14 AM »

How many "paying" patrons has Kaboom attracted the last couple years? it drew upwards of 300,000 when it was free, no? (and non-payers still went to the Embarc to gawk for free)

For some reason, the number 30,000 sticks in my head. So that's well within the capacity of AT&T, although you'd lose some or all of the bleachers and arcade depending on where they put the stage. And assuming they wouldn't allow patrons on the field, most of the crowd would be watching the bands on the jumbotron. So not exactly the perfect concert environs.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: March 11, 2010, 02:09:29 PM »
KFOG asked on their FB page (since it's "New Music Thurs"): "what CD did you buy most recently?" -- of 19 comments (so far), the vast majority were artists KFOG doesn't play. But 3 folks said the new Train album and one suck-up said "Live From the Archives".

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: March 11, 2010, 10:21:11 PM »
"what CD did you buy most recently?"

In case anyone is curious:

Last digi CD: Owl City, Ocean Eyes
Last physical CD: Flaming Lips, Embryonic
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”