Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1097303 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #1395 on: August 20, 2009, 11:14:20 PM »
Wait.  I confused Mat Kearney with Matt Nathanson.  This "Closer to Love" is definitely getting old.  It's the Matt Nathanson track that's featured in the iPhone game (which is a great free download, btw).

I can do without either of them. The Matt Nathanson song has been annoying me for well over a year now.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: August 21, 2009, 09:59:35 AM »
Next Friday, KFOG's "live-n'local" broadcast will be from Pacific Catch, @ 9th & Lincoln in SF  -- first time they've gone there.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: August 21, 2009, 10:22:15 AM »
Next Friday, KFOG's "live-n'local" broadcast will be from Pacific Catch, @ 9th & Lincoln in SF  -- first time they've gone there.

Arrgghh. That's 5 blocks from where I lived in SF.
Let's get right to it.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: August 24, 2009, 04:18:39 PM »
Did anybody go to the SJ broadcast?  We got there for the last hour.

I even won tickets to Chris Isaak for that evening, in an off-the-air spelling bee.  Thankfully I didn't have to spell "Cheechoo", and "Hewlett-Packard" for me was a breeze.  However I messed up on "Nabokov" (subbed an a for the first o), but hung in there when she couldn't spell the next word and I lucked out with "Alviso".

BUT, after getting my folks to come down to pick up the boys for the evening, my wife still wasn't done with her work and rather than pay $15 for parking to sit in the last row of the general admission seats (with overpriced snack food) at the newly remodeled Mountain Winery, we gifted the tickets to somebody on Craigslist and instead grabbed Thai food and then a double-feature of "District 9" and "Inglourius Basterds".  We'll try to catch Chris another time.  I know he puts on a good show.

The remodel of the Mountain Winery looks real nice, too.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: August 24, 2009, 04:20:17 PM »
What I *really* want to win now is the VIP tickets for Outside Lands, but KFOG has gone and spoiled my perfect plan, by sending an e-mail to all Fogheads giving them a heads-up for when the "new" Dave Matthews Band or Pearl Jam song will be playing.

Bah, and I had a super-secret trick for finding that out.  :-/

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: August 27, 2009, 02:41:25 PM »
Just took the "KFOG Music panel" survey on their website: 20 song snippets, including those banes-of-my-existence "Crack the Shutters", "You Found Me" and the Mraztastic "I'm Yours". Oddest choice, to me, was Aimee Mann's "Freeway", which is over a year old, isn't it?

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: August 27, 2009, 03:23:16 PM »
Just took the "KFOG Music panel" survey on their website: 20 song snippets, including those banes-of-my-existence "Crack the Shutters", "You Found Me" and the Mraztastic "I'm Yours". Oddest choice, to me, was Aimee Mann's "Freeway", which is over a year old, isn't it?

You are indeed correct. Per AMG, it was released June 3 of 2008 (which, incidentally, was my last full day as a resident of San Francisco).
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: August 27, 2009, 03:53:05 PM »

You are indeed correct. Per AMG, it was released June 3 of 2008 (which, incidentally, was my last full day as a resident of San Francisco).

I also meant to note that except for Adele, there was no one who could be deemed a Feist-alike. And the last time i took their survey, there were 5 or 6 in the bunch.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: August 28, 2009, 09:51:57 AM »
Wonder if Urth made it out to Pacific Catch for the live-n'local b'cast.  Luce closing the show with "Pretty Good Day".  Wonder how sick they are of doing that one?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: August 31, 2009, 08:15:45 AM »
Brett Dennen is on the Morning Show. He's opening for Jazn Mrazzzz -- how will the audience be able to tell the difference?

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: August 31, 2009, 11:08:37 AM »

Wonder if Urth made it out to Pacific Catch for the live-n'local b'cast.  Luce closing the show with "Pretty Good Day".  Wonder how sick they are of doing that one?

I dunno, I'd have enjoyed it.  Drove tight past there yesterday & thought how much I might rather have been there than where I was at the exact same time.

I'm just not snarky enough I guess, to diss that song.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: August 31, 2009, 12:00:19 PM »

I dunno, I'd have enjoyed it.  Drove tight past there yesterday & thought how much I might rather have been there than where I was at the exact same time.

I'm just not snarky enough I guess, to diss that song.

wasn't dissing the song, but we discused here recently about how artists must feel about having to do songs they've sung a gazillon times, and I'm sure Luce has done that one more than they can count.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: August 31, 2009, 01:56:51 PM »
I've never seen Luce live, but that version was different enough from the version usually played on the radio (possibly owing to technical limitations requiring an acoustic guitar, less FX, whatever).  Not being a (serious) musician myself, I can only guess at some of the things that keep performing the same old songs fresh would be bits and piece of improvisation that you may throw in, and whatever "vibe" you may get back from the audience.

My only consistent point of reference would be Peter's favorite band, Barenaked Ladies, who I've seen countless times, and who have undoubtably played their hit "If I had $1,000,000 Dollars" what must seem like to them over a million times.

Nonetheless, with those opening chords, the crowd goes mad, which must help with the tedium.  Also, BNL is well-known for their improvisational and comedic abilities.  Luce, less so, but still, getting paid to play music probably beats the hours I sit in front of my computer pretending to work.  (Although it's a more stable gig, and here I am posting to the 10@10 boards.  :-)

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: August 31, 2009, 01:57:56 PM »
Brett Dennen is on the Morning Show. He's opening for Jazn Mrazzzz -- how will the audience be able to tell the difference?

Well, I always think Brett Dennen is a female singer, so that's one thing.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: August 31, 2009, 02:03:39 PM »

I also meant to note that except for Adele, there was no one who could be deemed a Feist-alike. And the last time i took their survey, there were 5 or 6 in the bunch.

Ooof.  Adele is not Feist-like.  I love 'em both, as it happens, but 19(!) year old Adele's got way more soul.  Hey, if they're not gonna play Sharon Jones on KFOG, I'll take my soul where I can get it:

Listen to her version of Dylan's "Make You Feel My Love" - http://www.adele.tv/

Also -- that video is decidedly unglamorous.  You go girl!

Although I am partial to Joan Osborne's version as well.