Author Topic: The Job Thread  (Read 78581 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2006, 08:24:39 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
 But but but...you're not supposed to give notice till you have the proverbial bird in hand! Keep us posted.

Just goes to show how much I have come to hate my job.

In the immortal words of Curtis Armstrong:  You wanna know something? Every now and then say, "What the fuck." "What the fuck" gives you freedom. Freedom brings opportunity. Opportunity makes your future.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2006, 08:58:49 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Quote from: "Alicat"
 But but but...you're not supposed to give notice till you have the proverbial bird in hand! Keep us posted.

Just goes to show how much I have come to hate my job.

In the immortal words of Curtis Armstrong:  You wanna know something? Every now and then say, "What the fuck." "What the fuck" gives you freedom. Freedom brings opportunity. Opportunity makes your future.

Right on!
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2006, 01:03:44 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "Gazoo"
[ I may have a new gig of my own, as a music blogger/community builder/trendspotter for a forthcoming website called TBD ("The Boomer Destination").  

well, you're a Boomer in everything but birthdate. :wink:

Way to go Joe!  Please come back to SF!  :D  :)  :D  :)

Earlier tonight I finally got to speak directly with Pat, my potential new president, and he apologized again for being so busy.  He said he'd be here next week, and we should meet for lunch on Tuesday to go over the details of my offer (of which he further promised that I'd receive the details in the next 24 hrs, and apologized that the HR folks in Scotland had taken so long), and he added "I'm 100% sure that I want you on my team."

Which is good, since I had actually eschewed Jim's advice and given my notice on Monday evening.

Somewhere in the near future there's gonna be a party wherein I get to dispose of some of my newly disposable income.  I may have sounded glib to this point, but seriously, this has been an unbelievably trying year for me, and I count it as a near miracle that I not only may be able to survive it intact, but may even come out significantly ahead of the game.  I can't conceive of where I'd be right now if I didn't have all of your all's friendship every day to see me through.  Truly.  Words cannot express....

Aww, shucks, man...you'd do it (and have, many times) for us...

At this point, it sounds like you're golden. Usual corporate B.S. slowing down the process, but I don't blame you for dropping your exit letter as soon as you could. So when's your last day--and do you think you'll get any time off between gigs?

Oh, and GO CARDS! (Just not tonight--I wanna see this series go 6 or 7 games!)
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2006, 09:42:25 AM »
Well the day is finally here.  Today is my last day at the old job.

Originally I gave my notice for my last day being the 3rd, but they begged me to stick around until The Lackey showed up (last night) to have a formal handover.  

I was still going to at least have a 3-day weekend before starting at Worldmark, but one of the 2 key accounts that I'll have there is moving ahead much faster than expected and my presence at 2 meetings tomorrow has been mandated.  But that will be somewhat exciting, so it's okay.

No rest for the wicked!

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2006, 09:46:13 AM »

Originally I gave my notice for my last day being the 3rd, but they begged me too stick around until The Lackey showed up (last night) to have a formal handover.  

I was still going to at least have a 3-day weekend before starting at Worldmark, but one of the 2 key accounts that I'll have there is moving ahead much faster than expected and my presence at 2 meetings tomorrow has been mandated.  But that will be somewhat exciting, so it's okay.

No rest for the wicked!

WOO HOO! Margaritas all around!  We're thrilled for ya, bub -- and many of us wish we could say the same thing.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2006, 09:54:04 AM »

Originally I gave my notice for my last day being the 3rd, but they begged me too stick around until The Lackey showed up (last night) to have a formal handover.  

No rest for the wicked!

Felicitations!  Time to kick back later.

Meantime, I've just had an unexpected spanner invade my works: The Voice is offering me a newly opened Deputy Copy Chief job.  I'm quite torn, needless to say.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2006, 10:01:45 AM »
The Voice is offering me a newly opened Deputy Copy Chief job.  I'm quite torn, needless to say.

beware the Dark Side, young Skywalker!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2006, 10:03:36 AM »
The Voice is offering me a newly opened Deputy Copy Chief job.  I'm quite torn, needless to say.

For reals!  Who knew (a) that the Voice would be looked upon with such misgivings, or (b) that I'd be offered a job with them and think, "Hmm, do I really want to do this?"

If I take the job, it means I'm committing to a longer tour of duty in NYC, which is the most difficult aspect of the decision for me right now.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2006, 10:47:55 AM »

For reals!  Who knew (a) that the Voice would be looked upon with such misgivings, or (b) that I'd be offered a job with them and think, "Hmm, do I really want to do this?"

If I take the job, it means I'm committing to a longer tour of duty in NYC, which is the most difficult aspect of the decision for me right now.

All true, and a position such as that would look mighty impressive on your CV.

Follow your heart, bro.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2006, 03:47:32 PM »
Quote from: "urth"

All true, and a position such as that would look mighty impressive on your CV.

Follow your heart, bro.

Well, here's the skinny, gang:

I've decided to do it.  It's a pay cut, and it delays my long-term return to SF, but it's a rare opportunity to have a high-on-the-masthead full-time job with a revered (if declining) alt-media publication, and a chance to have insurance and paid sick/vaca days for the first time in years. And yes, having a staff position on the resume will do wonders as the road winds and unwinds.

And they're not making me skip my already-booked trips to Pittsburgh (Thanksgiving) and SF (Christmas), so whew for that.

Now, the sticking point: New Times may want to interview outsiders or insert one of "their people" in the position.  We're hoping this is a perfunctory search and that they'll quickly agree I'm the right person for the position.  But nothing is certain, and so I can't make any announcements yet.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2006, 10:24:44 PM »
I've decided to do it.  

We wish you the best, assuming it comes to fruition. Make the most of it. And of course, this means you'll def be coming to at least one of those A's/Mets, A's/Yanks games next year. "I love New York in June... how about yooooouuu..."

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2006, 05:24:26 PM »
I've decided to do it.  

I would have advised you to do it for exactly the reasons you listed, and also because you can't leave NY until I have a chance to visit you, something that I can probably swing early next year with my new post.  Is Spamalot still running with the original cast?

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Changeling
« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2007, 08:01:36 AM »
After less than five months as Voice copy chief, I'm moving on yet again.

Time magazine just offered me a position, a split of retexting (the work I've been doing for them for the past year, repurposing domestic articles for the international editions) and copyediting.  Easier hours (35-hour, four-day work week), stabler environment, more prestige, opportunity to play a small role in the public dialogue on the national level, and oh yeah, significant raise.

I'm pretty jazzed.

Ironic that I should be leaving the Voice just as it's turning a corner editorially (the new EIC has done a fantastic job in only eight weeks or so).  But it ended up not being a terribly difficult decision.

I'll be at the Voice through next Friday (we have an early issue close before the Memorial Day weekend) and then anticipate starting with Time on June 4.

W00T!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Changeling
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2007, 08:06:15 AM »
After less than five months as Voice copy chief, I'm moving on yet again.

Time magazine just offered me a position, a split of retexting (the work I've been doing for them for the past year, repurposing domestic articles for the international editions) and copyediting.  Easier hours (35-hour, four-day work week), stabler environment, more prestige, opportunity to play a small role in the public dialogue on the national level, and oh yeah, significant raise.

I'm pretty jazzed.

Ironic that I should be leaving the Voice just as it's turning a corner editorially (the new EIC has done a fantastic job in only eight weeks or so).  But it ended up not being a terribly difficult decision.

I'll be at the Voice through next Friday (we have an early issue close before the Memorial Day weekend) and then anticipate starting with Time on June 4.

W00T!

Congrats!! That's wonderful news. Sounds like a great gig.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2007, 08:08:50 AM »
Is Spamalot still running with the original cast?

I misssed this post in Nov -- FYI, Spamalot is still running, but the orig cast (Tim Curry, David Hyde-Pierce) are long gone. I'll still see it next month, tho'.

Hyde-Pierce is currently in the Kander/Ebb/Rupert Holmes musical "Curtains".