Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 467322 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #1065 on: April 02, 2013, 07:53:39 AM »
wow, Masters is only working a 3-hour shift, 6-to-9?  Nice.

Also nice: B-Movie, "Nowhere Girl", another classic I haven't heard in a while.

yet another little-heard alt classic this morning: English Beat "Never You Done That". Hope mshray is listening to this station.

OTOH, they're still playing Of Monsters & Men waaaay too often.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: April 02, 2013, 10:09:19 AM »
From the KITS yes.com logs today:

9:29 Oingo Boingo - Dead Man's Party
9:01 Romeo Void - Never Say Never
8:34 MICRO CHIP LEAGUE - New York ( :o :o :o :o :o!!!)
7:37 Clash - Bankrobber/Robb​er Dub
6:36 TRANS X - Living On Video

There were probably a couple others that didn't show up in the logs, like the English Beat song that RGMike mentioned.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: April 02, 2013, 10:58:06 AM »

There were probably a couple others that didn't show up in the logs, like the English Beat song that RGMike mentioned.

The Trans-X was a treat this morning.  Just now: "Plowed" by Sponge from 1994 -- haven't heard that one in a while -- has it ever appeared in a '94 10@10?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: April 02, 2013, 12:11:38 PM »
So I'm listening to AL's "all-request lunch". She says she's trying to establish a  theme: "Glory days" followed by "She's a Beauty"... huh? Songs with words that end in "s"? or "y"?

ah, I see: each song has to begin with the last letter of the previous song title. Damn, AL that's too much work.  "Young Lust" follows "She's a Beauty". Then "...Lust" is followed by "T.N.T."

Well, I guess the theme thing makes it more fun for her. And (maybe) spares us "Killer Queen" and "Dream On" every day.

ETA: AL will have a "big announcement" tomo'w morn at 6:15 "right after 'Breakfast with the Stones' " (hint, hint).  Guess KFOG will also be mentioning it. Presumably Live 105 will not.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 12:57:08 PM by RGMike »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: April 02, 2013, 01:06:35 PM »

ETA: AL will have a "big announcement" tomo'w morn at 6:15 "right after 'Breakfast with the Stones' " (hint, hint).  Guess KFOG will also be mentioning it. Presumably Live 105 will not.

Tim/Gory mentioned a "major, major concert announcement" tomorrow morning, so you are probably right. Certain GS folk are probably putting on extra Depends even as we speak.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: April 02, 2013, 01:29:18 PM »

Tim/Gory mentioned a "major, major concert announcement" tomorrow morning, so you are probably right. Certain GS folk are probably putting on extra Depends even as we speak.

Bwahahaha! TANC: Depends will be the corporate sponsor of the new Stones tour.  "Are we touring? it Depends..."

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: April 02, 2013, 02:51:26 PM »
now that I'm not streaming at work, and listening to over-the-air radio, I gotta say: Kiss-FM must play "No Parking on the Dance Floor" as often as KFOG used to play "Rocket Man".

Don't park your booty
Don't park your can
It's time to party
It's time to jam!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 02:57:30 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: April 03, 2013, 07:44:17 AM »

The Trans-X was a treat this morning.  Just now: "Plowed" by Sponge from 1994 -- haven't heard that one in a while -- has it ever appeared in a '94 10@10?

more gems: Smiths, "What Difference...?" and Gene Loves Jezebel "Motion of Love", which I got AL to play in the request days. Which begs the question, will any of these songs that Live 105 is unearthing start showing up on 10@10?

ETA: and here's Dramarama's "Anything Anything" which HAS made multiple appearances on 10@10.

and another: Rancid, "Time Bomb"

(meanwhile, KFOG has revived Sneaker Pimps' "6 Underground" -- one of the songs they played incessantly in the early days of DC's big format tweak. A record I truly never need hear again)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 09:19:41 AM by RGMike »

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: April 03, 2013, 10:15:06 AM »

more gems: Smiths, "What Difference...?" and Gene Loves Jezebel "Motion of Love", which I got AL to play in the request days. Which begs the question, will any of these songs that Live 105 is unearthing start showing up on 10@10?

ETA: and here's Dramarama's "Anything Anything" which HAS made multiple appearances on 10@10.

and another: Rancid, "Time Bomb"

(meanwhile, KFOG has revived Sneaker Pimps' "6 Underground" -- one of the songs they played incessantly in the early days of DC's big format tweak. A record I truly never need hear again)

Also Camouflage's "The Great Commandment" at 7 AM.  I may have to drive to work tomorrow instead of taking the train just so I can listen to this guy's show in my car.  I wonder how long they'll let him keep playing these.  Could it be just this week, to welcome him back?  Or will we regularly be getting them?

Interesting that Megan Holiday is now in the 10-2 slot.  She's head to head with Renee.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: April 03, 2013, 10:47:09 AM »
I was able to catch a few minutes before heading to work & heard him play "one from [his] personal record collection" -- The Model by Kraftwerk.  With a respectable segue into Death Cab's Soul Meets Body.  Not bad.

They bumped the previous morning guy to 7-10 pm, and the previous evening guy to weekdays 12-3 am.  :o. When was the last time that stations had DJs that late?  Mix 106 is the latest I know of around here, until 1 am.

When KFOG went younger, they gave Live 105 exactly what it needed in my opinion...a swift kick in the pants.

I just heard "Same Love" by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis for the first time -- wow. It that song getting pop/urban airplay?

Jayn on Alice spun it when SCOTUS heard arguments on same-sex marriage:
https://www.facebook.com/radioalice/posts/10151394452028042

But looking at my yes.com logs for KLLC, that looks like the only day they played it.  :-{

It is a great song, and the album on a whole is pretty excellent as well.  I'm disappointed that they chose not to perform it when they were on SNL last month.  I wonder if Lorne thought it would be too "controversial", as we all know how utterly bland and lame SNL has been for many decades, generally speaking.  (See also:  longtime ban of Elvis Costello, permanent ban on Sinead, etc.)

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: April 03, 2013, 11:06:43 AM »
I was able to catch a few minutes before heading to work & heard him play "one from [his] personal record collection" -- The Model by Kraftwerk.  With a respectable segue into Death Cab's Soul Meets Body.  Not bad.

They bumped the previous morning guy to 7-10 pm, and the previous evening guy to weekdays 12-3 am.  :o. When was the last time that stations had DJs that late?  Mix 106 is the latest I know of around here, until 1 am.

When KFOG went younger, they gave Live 105 exactly what it needed in my opinion...a swift kick in the pants.

I just heard "Same Love" by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis for the first time -- wow. It that song getting pop/urban airplay?

Jayn on Alice spun it when SCOTUS heard arguments on same-sex marriage:
https://www.facebook.com/radioalice/posts/10151394452028042

But looking at my yes.com logs for KLLC, that looks like the only day they played it.  :-{

It is a great song, and the album on a whole is pretty excellent as well.  I'm disappointed that they chose not to perform it when they were on SNL last month.  I wonder if Lorne thought it would be too "controversial", as we all know how utterly bland and lame SNL has been for many decades, generally speaking.  (See also:  longtime ban of Elvis Costello, permanent ban on Sinead, etc.)

It's taking off on Alternative.  26 spins on Live 105 last week and a similar amount on a handful of other stations, such as KROQ and KNDD.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: April 03, 2013, 11:14:38 AM »
It's taking off on Alternative.  26 spins on Live 105 last week and a similar amount on a handful of other stations, such as KROQ and KNDD.

safe to say the SCOTUS story revived it -- whether these stations did that on their own or if the label "reminded" them I dunno.  It's quite the perfect sort of thing for Live 105 to be playing, not just because this is SF but because it's something KFOG will probably never add.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: April 03, 2013, 11:20:51 AM »

safe to say the SCOTUS story revived it -- whether these stations did that on their own or if the label "reminded" them I dunno.  It's quite the perfect sort of thing for Live 105 to be playing, not just because this is SF but because it's something KFOG will probably never add.

With KFOG and Live 105 sharing like 90% of their currents and KFOG being pretty gay-friendly, I wouldn't count KFOG adding it out just yet.  They for some reason added the new Linkin Park...they're the only AAA station playing it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: April 03, 2013, 11:31:28 AM »

With KFOG and Live 105 sharing like 90% of their currents and KFOG being pretty gay-friendly, I wouldn't count KFOG adding it out just yet.  They for some reason added the new Linkin Park...they're the only AAA station playing it.

Still, KFOG's pretty skittish when it comes to anything remotely hip-hoppy. It would be perfect for this year's 10@10 Pride Set, assuming we get one.  But I heard that Linkin Park song on Live 105 this morning (this is their "folk" album? WTF?) and my first thought was "I'll bet KFOG plays this".

Conversely, KFOG's playing Crapton's latest blooze-you-can-snooze, which thankfully Live 105 will never touch.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 11:53:47 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: April 03, 2013, 11:51:22 AM »
now that I'm not streaming at work, and listening to over-the-air radio, I gotta say: Kiss-FM must play "No Parking on the Dance Floor" as often as KFOG used to play "Rocket Man".

listening again -- I previously only heard the station for an hour or 2 a week when I'm in the car doing errands -- I'm far more aware of repetition. Heard "Purple rain" for the 2nd  time in less than 24 hours.  I also have an issue with their ever-broadening definition of "Old School".  I think mixing danceable new wave and white pop ("Don't You Want Me", "Safety Dance", anything by Madonna) with Cameo, various Jacksons and Bel Biv DeVoe  is a brilliant idea but rock-oriented stuff like TFF and Simple Minds seems wrong, somehow. I just heard "I Ran" which I wouldn't've played if I were them.  Noticing more '90s in the mix too -- CeCePeniston's fabulous "Finally"and Montell Jordan both in the last half-hour.