Author Topic: 31 August 2011: Local Music Month Extravaganza!  (Read 28699 times)

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: 31 August 2011: Local Music Month Extravaganza!
« Reply #90 on: August 31, 2011, 10:56:10 AM »

I had no idea the best place to check out Asian Chicks is the Hog Island Oyster company.... learn something new every day.

Note to self:  Avoid Hog Island Oyster company!  :P

It amuses me how widely Mr. Isaak's fondness for Asian chicks is known.  A good friend of mine who's of Japanese heritage used to work in the WEA offices in SF (back when there was such a thing) and fielded some advances by him. I believe she shut him down. At least that's how she tells it.

When I lived in the Inner Sunset I used to frequent a small diner run by a Korean family, and there were a number of Isaak photos and memorabilia on the wall. I always wondered what the back story there was, but never had the nerve to ask.

Well, he is incredibly pasty and everyone knows that pasty white guys dig Asian chicks...and vice versa.  (This usually works with gays, too.)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 31, 2011, 10:58:56 AM »

Well, he is incredibly pasty and everyone knows that pasty white guys dig Asian chicks...and vice versa.  (This usually works with gays, too.)

oh my yes.  If I had a dollar for every pasty, fat, 55-year-old white guy in SF with a 22-year-old Vietnamese boyfriend, I could retire.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 31, 2011, 11:02:15 AM »

I had no idea the best place to check out Asian Chicks is the Hog Island Oyster company.... learn something new every day.

Note to self:  Avoid Hog Island Oyster company!  :P

It amuses me how widely Mr. Isaak's fondness for Asian chicks is known.  A good friend of mine who's of Japanese heritage used to work in the WEA offices in SF (back when there was such a thing) and fielded some advances by him. I believe she shut him down. At least that's how she tells it.

When I lived in the Inner Sunset I used to frequent a small diner run by a Korean family, and there were a number of Isaak photos and memorabilia on the wall. I always wondered what the back story there was, but never had the nerve to ask.

Me no love you no time.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 31, 2011, 11:09:25 AM »
According to Websters, pasty is an adjective meaning “resembling paste”, or “pallid and unhealthy in appearance”. I’m not sure Chris Isaak qualifies.

“Pasty” can also be used as a noun , i.e. “Meat Pie”.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2011, 11:30:30 AM »
According to Websters, pasty is an adjective meaning “resembling paste”, or “pallid and unhealthy in appearance”. I’m not sure Chris Isaak qualifies.

I've usually seen it written as "pastie."

In any case,  the meat pie version is pronounce "past-ee"  -- as in "F is one letter past E."

Don't confuse it with pastie, like the nipple doily!  :)
~CPL593H~

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 31, 2011, 11:38:04 AM »

In any case,  the meat pie version is pronounce "past-ee"  -- as in "F is one letter past E."

One word before pastie is “pastiche”, or “a literary, artistic, or musical work that imitates the style of previous work”. Now, THAT seems appropriate for Chris Isaak!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2011, 12:05:20 PM »

One word before pastie is “pastiche”, or “a literary, artistic, or musical work that imitates the style of previous work”. Now, THAT seems appropriate for Chris Isaak!

well, that could sum up most pop music if you look hard enough.  most things are derivative.
~CPL593H~

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2011, 12:55:08 PM »

Mmmmm, pasteeeees.  Very much a Great Britain foodstuff -- my English grandmother made them, and I loved them.

And, being that I'm scotch/irish/english, I'm quite pasty in the winter, but quite a rosier color during summer.  I do not notice my taste in women changing much by season.  Unless I am unclear on the concept...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2011, 01:03:32 PM »
8/31/11-Wednesday!
Wrapping Up Local Music Month with 10 that Busted Out Big!

1. The Grateful Dead- Estimated Prophet
(News: Harry Reasoner: Hippies In the Haight)
  2. Jefferson Airplane- Somebody To Love
(News: SF Peace Protests)
  3.  Creedence Clearwater Revival- Fortunate Son
  4.  Sly And The Family Stone- I Want To Take You Higher
(TV: The Streets of San Francisco)
  5.  Santana- Everybody's Everything
(News: Harvey Milk First Gay Supervisor)
  6. Tower of Power- What Is Hip? (B.O.S!!)
(TV Movie: Tales Of The City)
  7. Journey- Lights
(Poem: Jack Kerouac)
  8.  Romeo Void- Never Say Never
  9.  The Tubes- She's A Beauty
(TV Movie: Tales Of The City)
10.  4 Non Blondes- What's Up
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2011, 01:16:22 PM »

Mmmmm, pasteeeees.  Very much a Great Britain foodstuff -- my English grandmother made them, and I loved them.

And, being that I'm scotch/irish/english, I'm quite pasty in the winter, but quite a rosier color during summer.  I do not notice my taste in women changing much by season.  Unless I am unclear on the concept...

btw, the pasty/pastie is built like that for a reason: coal miners, for instance, could hold onto the crusty edge and eat the main part without getting it dirty. When they ate all they could, they discarded the crusty "handle" edge. 

I suppose empanadas are like that, too, so the gauchos could eat them without contaminating them with cow-pooh hands.

~CPL593H~

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 31, 2011, 01:57:22 PM »
I suppose empanadas are like that, too, so the gauchos could eat them without contaminating them with cow-pooh hands.

And pizza, too?

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 31, 2011, 02:28:41 PM »

And pizza, too?

not sure about pizza.  Could be: southern Italians are pretty dirty in general ... just ask a northern paisan!  (ok, that was a joke.)

maybe calzones are in that family.  

"But mama, how I'm-a gonna eat-a my pizza pie?  My hands-a...  dey got-a dirt alla over them-a!"

"Just-a fold eet in-a half-a and shaddup-a you face!   Ma-DOHN!"
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 31, 2011, 03:24:50 PM »

And pizza, too?

not sure about pizza.  Could be: southern Italians are pretty dirty in general ... just ask a northern paisan!  (ok, that was a joke.)

"But mama, how I'm-a gonna eat-a my pizza pie?  My hands-a...  dey got-a dirt alla over them-a!"

Joe Dolce on line 1...

Actually, I think that pizza (like burritos) is an American invention.

There's a new "artisanal" empanadas place on Valencia near 15th that's supposed to be yummy.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 31, 2011, 05:02:29 PM »

And pizza, too?

Joe Dolce on line 1...

There's a new "artisanal" empanadas place on Valencia near 15th that's supposed to be yummy.
Chile Lindo's empanadas are hella good! 
http://chilelindo.com/

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 31, 2011, 05:15:55 PM »

And pizza, too?

Joe Dolce on line 1...

Chile Lindo's empanadas are hella good! 
http://chilelindo.com/

these are also good:
http://www.elportenosf.com/

they have a kiosk in the Ferry Bldg, and make appearances at The Fort Mason 'Off The Grid' (Fridays at 5 PM)
~CPL593H~