Author Topic: 1975 on Wed 3/16/05  (Read 21102 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: I don't know this one
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2005, 08:55:11 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
Quote from: "ggould"

Perhaps because it sounds like nails on a blackboard?
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

you think? i'm with mshray - i think it rocks. i'm glad i know who it is now so i can buy their album to find it's the only good song they ever wrote.
iTunes has this song, and some others, if you only want to go 99 cents at a time.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2005, 09:00:03 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Quote from: "mshray"
Also just about the only artist from St. Louis of any significance to pop up between Chuck Berry & Nelly.

Interesting observation!  The only others I can think of are Smith (their 1969 #5 cover of "Baby It's You") and their lead singer Gayle McCormick (who had a minor charter in 1971 called "It's a Crying Shame").

Bloodstone ("Natural High") were from K.C., right?

Bloodstone, yes.  I'd never heard of Smith, but Whitburn has them as an L.A. act.  McCormick doesn't have a solo entry in the Top 40.

There was a group called Pavlov's Dog that my friends & I liked & had their album, contemporaneous with Head East, but they never broke nationally.

Given how important St. Louis was in the pre-R'n'R era (From Scott Joplin to W.C. Handy, etc.) it's really amazing that just nothing happened for 40 years.  I mean Pittsburgh is a music mecca by comparison.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2005, 09:01:41 AM »

you think? i'm with mshray - i think it rocks. i'm glad i know who it is now so i can buy their album to find it's the only good song they ever wrote.
iTunes has this song, and some others, if you only want to go 99 cents at a time.

I'll give it to you for free, along with the 3 or 4 others I have already downloaded.  Let's have a Mtn View lunch tomorrow!  We can hook up with DaveMack most likely.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
1975 on Wed 3/16/05
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2005, 09:10:57 AM »
can someone tell me if gary wright ever did anything worth listening to other than "dream" weaver" and "love is alive?" i absolutely love those two songs, but i wonder if he was just a two-off.

I had the album.  Okay, I had it on 8-track.  Can't recall a single other track though.  I think those two were it.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2005, 09:12:17 AM »

I'll give it to you for free, along with the 3 or 4 others I have already downloaded.  Let's have a Mtn View lunch tomorrow!  We can hook up with DaveMack most likely.

ok!! thanks!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
1975 on Wed 3/16/05
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2005, 09:13:29 AM »
Quote from: "Rod"
can someone tell me if gary wright ever did anything worth listening to other than "dream" weaver" and "love is alive?" i absolutely love those two songs, but i wonder if he was just a two-off.

I had the album.  Okay, I had it on 8-track.  Can't recall a single other track though.  I think those two were it.

thanks. i'll check it out. mmm...eight-track. that clunky "skip to next track" sound was technology!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1975 on Wed 3/16/05
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2005, 10:04:06 AM »
Quote from: "Rod"

thanks. i'll check it out. mmm...eight-track. that clunky "skip to next track" sound was technology!

Not to mention the splitting of songs between two sides.  For years I thought the Eagles' "Best of My Love" had a false stop after the first refrain.  It was just the jump from Track 1 to Track 2 (or 2 to 3, I don't remember now).
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2005, 10:05:22 AM »
I'd never heard of Smith
Their "Baby It's You" cover was actually pretty strong, prominent bass line, but there seemed to be a plethora of blondes singing blues/rock at the time too.  My college crowd really got into this band called CK Strong, which I  doubt any of you have heard, but the vocalist was awesome.  Never heard them again.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
1975 on Wed 3/16/05
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2005, 10:09:44 AM »

Not to mention the splitting of songs between two sides.  For years I thought the Eagles' "Best of My Love" had a false stop after the first refrain.  It was just the jump from Track 1 to Track 2 (or 2 to 3, I don't remember now).

ha! i'd forgotten about that. but, i, too, thought all groups wrote songs in two parts. like it was a "fingertips" syndrome.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2005, 10:13:52 AM »
I'd never heard of Smith
Their "Baby It's You" cover was actually pretty strong, prominent bass line, but there seemed to be a plethora of blondes singing blues/rock at the time too.  My college crowd really got into this band called CK Strong, which I  doubt any of you have heard, but the vocalist was awesome.  Never heard them again.
Maybe you guys have heard of the lead singer, Lynn Carey, she was in this group called Mama Lion, and sang the lead (not sure if she was the actory) in the Carrie Nations in the Valley of the Dolls movie.  Here's an interesting photo; how did I miss this?

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1975 on Wed 3/16/05
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2005, 12:03:01 PM »

anyone know what the backwards masking at the beginning of "Fire On High" says?

(I do)

The music is reversible, but time is not. Turn back! Turn back!

Or something like that.

And as for artists from St. Louis, I would submit Uncle Tupelo. OK, they started in Belleville Illinois, but that's fairly close to St. Louis, and I know that two of the original member still live there. (And the third, Jeff Tweedy, still roots for the Cards and the Blues.)
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2005, 02:18:47 PM »
Please tell me she's not actually nursing that lion cub.

I'd never heard of Smith
Maybe you guys have heard of the lead singer, Lynn Carey, she was in this group called Mama Lion, and sang the lead (not sure if she was the actory) in the Carrie Nations in the Valley of the Dolls movie.  Here's an interesting photo; how did I miss this?

“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Mama Lion
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2005, 02:42:36 PM »
Please tell me she's not actually nursing that lion cub.
Apparently that's the idea.  This was quickly censored, and became a collectible.  The band was called Mama Lion (don't know if this or the Crosby/Nash song of the same name came first), so you get the general idea.  Ms. Carey was apparently quite the hottie, as all I had to go on at  the time was a group shot from the first CK Strong LP, and was the Penthouse Pet in December 1972 as well!  I guess this gives me something to search for idly on ebay in my spare time (not till Summer!)

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
1975 on Wed 3/16/05
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2005, 03:27:24 PM »
i admit it took four viewings before i realised there was a boobie.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
hmmmm...
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2005, 03:43:25 PM »
i admit it took four viewings before i realised there was a boobie.
this sure smells like a straight line, but I'm afraid to pick it up! :lol:  :lol:  :lol: