Author Topic: I didn't know that!  (Read 65689 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: I didn't know that!
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2009, 11:09:46 AM »
How did I miss the fact that Joe Walsh and Ringo Starr are now in-laws? Joe married Ringo's sister-in-law Marjorie Bach last December.

Didn't Joe play in one or more editions of Ringo's All-Starr Band during the Eagles hiatus?

Yes he did, I think you could call him a mainstay of that ensemble.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2009, 06:02:42 PM »
I just realized that Sean Parnell, the guy who succeeded Sarah Palin as governor of Alaska, was a college classmate of mine!  I don't remember much about him, but it was a small school, and I'm sure we had to know each other at least as acquaintances back in the day.

Pacific Lutheran University, class of 1984.  Go Lutes!

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2009, 10:43:20 PM »
I'm reading the annual Top 77 Countdown, and just learned that the original recording of "(They Long to Be) Close to You" came from ... Richard Chamberlain!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2010, 02:10:13 AM »
I just realized that Sean Parnell, the guy who succeeded Sarah Palin as governor of Alaska, was a college classmate of mine!  I don't remember much about him, but it was a small school, and I'm sure we had to know each other at least as acquaintances back in the day.

At least they didn't have to replace the monogrammed items in the Capitol.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2010, 11:35:24 AM »
Not sure where to put this, but I can guarantee that anyone attending will get more than their share of "I didn't know that!" moments.  Gaz & I sure did when we attended Richie's Woodstock presentation last October.  Highly recommended & hoping I can find a way to attend.

Rare Women Rock Clips
On Wednesday, February 3 from 7pm-9pm, Richie Unterberger will present rare film clips of women rock and soul performers from the 1950s to the 1980s at the Park Branch of the San Francisco Public Library at 1833 Page Street. Included will be clips by Wanda Jackson, Brenda Lee, Francoise Hardy, the Ronettes, Aretha Franklin, Nina Simone, Barbara Lynn, Dusty Springfield, Lulu, Janis Joplin, Grace Slick with the Jefferson Airplane, Nancy Sinatra, Joni Mitchell, Nico, Patti Smith, Shonen Knife, and others. Admission is free.

Also: On Thursday, February 11 from 7pm-9pm, he'll be discussing White Light/White Heat: The Velvet Underground Day-By-Day at the Redwood City Public Library at 1044 Middlefield Road in Redwood City. Rare audiovisual material from throughout the Velvet Underground's career will be featured, and signed copies of the book will be available for purchase. Admission is free.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2010, 11:55:16 AM »
Not sure where to put this, but I can guarantee that anyone attending will get more than their share of "I didn't know that!" moments.  Gaz & I sure did when we attended Richie's Woodstock presentation last October.  Highly recommended & hoping I can find a way to attend.

Rare Women Rock Clips
On Wednesday, February 3 from 7pm-9pm, Richie Unterberger will present rare film clips of women rock and soul performers from the 1950s to the 1980s at the Park Branch of the San Francisco Public Library at 1833 Page Street. Included will be clips by Wanda Jackson, Brenda Lee, Francoise Hardy, the Ronettes, Aretha Franklin, Nina Simone, Barbara Lynn, Dusty Springfield, Lulu, Janis Joplin, Grace Slick with the Jefferson Airplane, Nancy Sinatra, Joni Mitchell, Nico, Patti Smith, Shonen Knife, and others. Admission is free.

I'm seriously considering this -- how crowded do his presentations tend to get?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2010, 01:13:25 PM »

Rare Women Rock Clips

I'm seriously considering this -- how crowded do his presentations tend to get?

I went to one he did last month on the early days of Rock (clips from Bill Haley, Gene Vincent, Cliff Richard, etc).  The room holds about 5-60, maybe?  and it was a good size audeince, but not too crowded, and there were plenty of seats when I got there about 15 mins after the start time.  You should have no problem finding a seat, but get there a little early if you want to sit close.  Then again, not sure if that matters: for the presentation I saw he projected vid clips onto a screen, and it was not exactly hi-definition stuff. 
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2010, 09:17:04 PM »
Caught part of Oprah today at the gym; she had the guy who started Chipotle, talking about how his food is fresh, his meat is free-range,etc. I wondered why there was no mention of McDonald's being part owner, and it turns out they no longer are! They divested themselves of Chipotle in 2006.  How did I miss that?

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2010, 09:37:24 PM »
Caught part of Oprah today at the gym; she had the guy who started Chipotle, talking about how his food is fresh, his meat is free-range,etc. I wondered why there was no mention of McDonald's being part owner, and it turns out they no longer are! They divested themselves of Chipotle in 2006.  How did I miss that?
I haven't eaten at Chipotle, but have noticed that they publish nutritional info on their food, which I found refreshing.  Perhaps they all have to do it, but my local burrito shop doesn't have to!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2010, 08:09:12 AM »
I haven't eaten at Chipotle, but have noticed that they publish nutritional info on their food, which I found refreshing.  Perhaps they all have to do it, but my local burrito shop doesn't have to!

I think all chains have to; I've seen such info posted at Mickey D's and BK. 

I loved this factoid from the Wiki entry: when he started the first Chipotle in Denver (after attending chef school in SF) he figured out that he'd have to sell 107 burritos a day to break even. He worried if he would -- but within a month he was selling 1000 a day!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2010, 11:17:21 PM »
Samuel L. Jackson was active in the Black Power movement in the late '60s, and he was a pallbearer for MLK. Ya learn something every day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abWNy-h9Tuo
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2010, 07:43:58 AM »
Samuel L. Jackson was active in the Black Power movement in the late '60s, and he was a pallbearer for MLK. Ya learn something every day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abWNy-h9Tuo

"Ahm tired of all these muthafuckin' racists in this muthafuckin' country!"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2010, 03:47:56 PM »
I was visiting the music blog http://moistworks.com/ (aka "an MP3 Jukebox") and found that the most recent post was a nod to Karen Carpenter's birthday a few weeks ago. (Among other things, the writer posted Karen's cover of "Still Crazy After All These Years", which was NTM.) The post mentions that Karen dated the likes of Steve Martin and Tony Danza back in the day, and then says this:

The Michael Jackson hit "She's Out of My Life" was written by Tom Bahler about Karen Carpenter after she broke up with him.

I'll never hear that song the same way again.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2010, 11:38:24 AM »
The A's are in Toronto this wknd and a viewer wrote in to ask why the BlueJays games all start at :07 past the hour, rather than :05. It's because they have to sing both the US and Canadian anthems before each game.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2010, 11:30:16 AM »
wow, Billy "I Can Help" Swan, another bithday boy this week, produced TJW's "Polk Salad Annie"!