Author Topic: 1975 on Thurs 5/26/05  (Read 6982 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1975 on Thurs 5/26/05
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2005, 08:53:24 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "Gazoo"
I hate posting this many times in a row, but I have to show some more love to "Why Can't We Be Friends?" since there are many who don't like it.  I understand the feeling -- it is a novelty song, and "sometimes I don't speak right / but yet I know what I'm talking about" isn't exactly poetry -- but I don't understand how one can listen to the refrain and not come out smiling at the end.

POW!

agreed -- Ah loves me some "why can't we be friends?" -- tho' the remake (Sugar Ray? Smash Mouth? Sugar Smash?) was unnecessary.

It was Smash Mouth, in one of many unnecessary and unlistenable covers from them.  ("Can't Get Enough of You Baby" was the only one they did right.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
1975 on Thurs 5/26/05
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2005, 08:55:54 AM »
It was Smash Mouth, in one of many unnecessary and unlistenable covers from them.  ("Can't Get Enough of You Baby" was the only one they did right.)

indeed, "Can't..." suited them -- but the '80s cover by Colourfield is still better. Oddly, I don't think I've ever heard the original by ? & the Mysterians. But I'd like to.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: OH, and BTW, ....
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2005, 09:53:21 AM »
Quote from: "Rod"
WOS to Wildfire.  No good critical reason, I just hate the way it sounds.  Weepy crap, and when he goes "WI iiiii iii iii lllddddd fiiiiiiiiii errrrrrr" it makes me ill.
it is kind of the antithesis of Rockin' Rod, eh?
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1975 on Thurs 5/26/05
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2005, 10:02:15 AM »
I think "Wildfire" is a sweet if sleepy song, but I'm forever reminded of a bitchy line in a Dave Barry column about his use of "killing frost" to describe the storm: "Killing Frost refers to your vegetables," the contributor noted, "and no one would get lost in one that wouldn't get lost in the middle of summer."

Er, actually...

"In a blizzard he was lost".  I always assumed the blizzard followed the frost.

I always thought Wildfire borrowed heavily (in theme if not melody) from Roger McGuinn's supremely silly horse song, Chestnut Mare. Now if you want illogical lyrics, Michael Murphey's got nothing on ol' Rodg. (But for the record, I do like both songs.)
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1975 on Thurs 5/26/05
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2005, 10:46:49 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
I always thought Wildfire borrowed heavily (in theme if not melody) from Roger McGuinn's supremely silly horse song, Chestnut Mare. Now if you want illogical lyrics, Michael Murphey's got nothing on ol' Rodg. (But for the record, I do like both songs.)

I've only heard that song once in my life, but it creeped me out something FIERCE.  "I'm gonna catch that horse if I can / I'm gonna make that horse wear my brand," or something like that?  Someone call PETA!

And if my ears don't deceive, Fleetwood Mac later nicked that pretty opening for their moderate hit "As Long as You Follow," the single from their (1989?) greatest-hits comp.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: OH, and BTW, ....
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2005, 11:20:30 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
Quote from: "Rod"
WOS to Wildfire.  No good critical reason, I just hate the way it sounds.  Weepy crap, and when he goes "WI iiiii iii iii lllddddd fiiiiiiiiii errrrrrr" it makes me ill.
it is kind of the antithesis of Rockin' Rod, eh?
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Well, I suppose.  Though I like plenty of songs that are slow and pretty, or sappy and sad.  Like 'Vincent.' or 'Love Hurts.' or 'Dust in the Wind.'  But dammit, 'Wildfire' is TWO SYLLABLES, not 15.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
1975 on Thurs 5/26/05
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2005, 11:57:22 AM »

I've only heard that song once in my life, but it creeped me out something FIERCE.  "I'm gonna catch that horse if I can / I'm gonna make that horse wear my brand," or something like that?  Someone call PETA!.

Or call NOW, since it always struck me as a metaphor (horse = elusive woman).  It was a big big song on early-'70s NYC prog FM. Haven't heard it on the radio since moving to SF.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Chestnut Mare
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2005, 12:29:02 PM »

I've only heard that song once in my life, but it creeped me out something FIERCE.  "I'm gonna catch that horse if I can / I'm gonna make that horse wear my brand," or something like that?  Someone call PETA!.

Or call NOW, since it always struck me as a metaphor (horse = elusive woman).  It was a big big song on early-'70s NYC prog FM. Haven't heard it on the radio since moving to SF.

Great Song; can't say I've ever heard it on KFOG.  Sounds like a good one for 10@10
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!