Author Topic: The Job Thread  (Read 78459 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Job Thread
« Reply #135 on: March 26, 2008, 07:59:02 PM »
I can't really go into detail right now, but should any of you hear anything involving CNET in the media today, just know that I'm not affected. :(

Urgh.  Glad you're not "affected," but still, you'll obviously be affected.  My sincere sympathies.

But from this season of change, may a thousand flowers bloom!  Or something like that.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 26, 2008, 11:28:10 PM »
I can't really go into detail right now, but should any of you hear anything involving CNET in the media today, just know that I'm not affected. :(

Urgh.  Glad you're not "affected," but still, you'll obviously be affected.  My sincere sympathies.

But from this season of change, may a thousand flowers bloom!  Or something like that.

Yeah, that's for sure. For those who hadn't seen it, the company I work for, CNET, laid off 10% of its US workforce today (about 120 people), in no small part an attempt to strengthen the comany against a hostile takeover that's being mounted by a NY hedge fund. The assumption is they want to buy the company, then sell off various pieces for more than what they paid for CNET in the first place. Anyway, I was not laid off, nor was anyone on my team, however several people I know well were given their pink slips, and that's never easy to deal with. Just hoping that more of these cuts are not forthcoming. I really don't need to be out of work right now.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 27, 2008, 09:58:20 AM »

...a hostile takeover that's being mounted by a NY hedge fund. The assumption is they want to buy the company, then sell off various pieces for more than what they paid for CNET in the first place.

Yeah, ever since some guys bought out the company that owned Life and Look 30+ years ago, and then liquidated for huge instant ROI, this kind of shit happens all the time.  Sorry you're caught up in it, glad you're not on the street.

My own, hopefully more positive update, is that I had an interview on Tuesday & now will be brought back to meet the CEO next week.  I was told that they only bring someone in front of the CEO if they've already made a recommendation to hire, that they have no other current candidates and that they need this position filled ASAP.  So I better not blow it with the CEO!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 27, 2008, 10:02:24 AM »

...a hostile takeover that's being mounted by a NY hedge fund. The assumption is they want to buy the company, then sell off various pieces for more than what they paid for CNET in the first place.

Yeah, ever since some guys bought out the company that owned Life and Look 30+ years ago, and then liquidated for huge instant ROI, this kind of shit happens all the time.  Sorry you're caught up in it, glad you're not on the street.

My own, hopefully more positive update, is that I had an interview on Tuesday & now will be brought back to meet the CEO next week.  I was told that they only bring someone in front of the CEO if they've already made a recommendation to hire, that they have no other current candidates and that they need this position filled ASAP.  So I better not blow it with the CEO!

Best of luck, Mark.  I'm sorry the equity startup gig didn't pan out as hoped, but am still glad you took the chance.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 27, 2008, 11:05:10 AM »

Best of luck, Mark.  I'm sorry the equity startup gig didn't pan out as hoped, but am still glad you took the chance.

Oh me too.  I would never have gotten a call from these folks if I hadn't spent the last year back in the software world.

Not to mention the call I got yesterday - from a recruiter in CT who is trying to fill a VP job in Manchester NH for an old economy company with $10 Bn in annual sales that wants to spin off a Web 2.0 company.  Pays $140-225k.  I said I'd consider relo for that.  Probably waaaaay over my head, but just geting the call was interesting.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 11, 2008, 10:33:14 PM »
Well well well.....
I am now officially on the market.
Laid off today. Job eliminated because company is stretched financially and they can hire an intern to come help out for a third of my salary. I really do understand and respect the decision that was made. But geez. Writing was on the wall but I never really thought it would be me.

I now need to really focus and entertain lots of options I may not have entertained. I guess checking into unemployment bennies should be first and then lining up insurance for May 1. Mike, when you read, if you have insurance advice or info to share about coverage, please email me.

Not sure yet what to do next week. Sit home at the computer and network, make phone calls? I want to be indulgent and go to a Giants day game 16th or 30th. Hopefully unemployment won't be for long. Hope I don't look back at this post in a few months and find myself still looking for work.
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 12, 2008, 10:51:41 AM »
Well well well.....
Laid off today. Job eliminated because company is stretched financially and they can hire an intern to come help out for a third of my salary. I really do understand and respect the decision that was made. But geez. Writing was on the wall but I never really thought it would be me.

I now need to really focus and entertain lots of options I may not have entertained. I guess checking into unemployment bennies should be first and then lining up insurance for May 1. Mike, when you read, if you have insurance advice or info to share about coverage, please email me.

Not sure yet what to do next week. Sit home at the computer and network, make phone calls? I want to be indulgent and go to a Giants day game 16th or 30th. Hopefully unemployment won't be for long. Hope I don't look back at this post in a few months and find myself still looking for work.

Ali, that really sucks. I know you weren't loving it there, but it's always better to go out on your terms, not theirs. Hope they at least did the right thing and gave you a decent severance. With any luck you'll be able to hook on elsewhere soon and not have too much downtime. CNET is not hiring many people right now, but there are a few open positions; I'll see if anything looks like your skillset and send it your way.

I'm trying to sort out my job future as well; I was hoping to just keep my job and work remotely after we move but that (for reasons I won't elaborate on) is not the case. I still have a couple other options at CNET, but if they don't work out I'll be hitting the Portland/Salem job market, and soon--we need my benefits just as Ali and her fam need hers.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 11:00:27 AM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 14, 2008, 09:52:14 AM »
Well well well.....

Sorry to hear that Ali. 

Always get yer unemployment -- I've been laid off enough times to know that there is no reason to procrastinate.  You've been paying unemployment benefits you're whole life, you deserve that money.

As far as insurance, you should be able to continue your current coverage via COBRA for like 6 months.  It's not cheap, and you should check out other options, but it is (or was) garaunteed.

Good luck on the job hunt.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 15, 2008, 10:25:51 AM »
Well well well.....

Like the others, I'm sorry departure wasn't on your terms, but I think this will be good for you.  Definitely give yourself the indulgence here and there and don't minimize that what you're going through is a highly stressful event.

Do you have time to make it to this today?
http://www.nationalcareerfairs.com/monster/job_fairs/details/CA/San_Francisco/April/15/2008/

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 15, 2008, 02:15:01 PM »
Well well well.....

Like the others, I'm sorry departure wasn't on your terms, but I think this will be good for you.  Definitely give yourself the indulgence here and there and don't minimize that what you're going through is a highly stressful event.

Do you have time to make it to this today?
http://www.nationalcareerfairs.com/monster/job_fairs/details/CA/San_Francisco/April/15/2008/

Too late for today. I did go to a job fair today at the college I went to. Nothing great but made contact with Office Team agency to pick up some work when possible. Got three resumes out today.

I don't feel stressed, at least not yet. I feel very liberated and excited about new opportunity. I haven't told my parents or brother yet but I guess I should make those phone calls. Everyone else in my world already knows.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 15, 2008, 08:49:39 AM »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 15, 2008, 09:34:54 AM »
Urth's moving just in time:  CBS buys CNET.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/05/15/financial/f044400D47.DTL

No kidding--I leave the house this morning as an employee of CNET; I get off the train and I work for CBS (well, I would if I were sticking around anyway).

In light of yesterday's court decision, (the hedge fund that's been trying to get seats on our board and thereby get control of the company won its case to allow it to do so), it seems like the company decided they had to act and act quickly. $1.8B for the whole kit and kaboodle is not too shabby though. Wish I were gonna see some of that.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 15, 2008, 10:49:08 AM »
Urth's moving just in time:  CBS buys CNET.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/05/15/financial/f044400D47.DTL

No kidding--I leave the house this morning as an employee of CNET; I get off the train and I work for CBS (well, I would if I were sticking around anyway).

In light of yesterday's court decision, (the hedge fund that's been trying to get seats on our board and thereby get control of the company won its case to allow it to do so), it seems like the company decided they had to act and act quickly. $1.8B for the whole kit and kaboodle is not too shabby though. Wish I were gonna see some of that.

When I heard Peter Finch mention this, he very clearly said 1.8 Million, not Billion.  Ooops!

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 17, 2008, 10:13:35 AM »
It looks like I will be starting a new job soon with Alpha Networks.  Had lunch yesterday and hashed out the basics of the compensation, they want me to start ASAP.  Just down the street from my old job on Great America.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 17, 2008, 10:15:18 AM »
It looks like I will be starting a new job soon with Alpha Networks.  Had lunch yesterday and hashed out the basics of the compensation, they want me to start ASAP.  Just down the street from my old job on Great America.

Congrats! Hope this is the one for ya -- money *and* happiness. You deserve it, bub!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round