Author Topic: The Job Thread  (Read 78516 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #120 on: October 15, 2007, 10:08:00 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Wikimedia posted the job openings for SF today.
Nothing I'm going for...

Peter reported this morning that MySpace is opening an SF office over near AT&T Park, hiring a staff of 200.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #121 on: October 15, 2007, 10:12:58 AM »
Nothing I'm going for...

But it looks like there are a few more positions yet to be opened. I don't see anything for me there in either case. But how about partnerships development, Ali? Any chance of repurposing your skills in that direction?
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #122 on: October 15, 2007, 11:07:45 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
Nothing I'm going for...

But it looks like there are a few more positions yet to be opened. I don't see anything for me there in either case. But how about partnerships development, Ali? Any chance of repurposing your skills in that direction?

bizdev, partner dev. I could hack it. Not sure the pay would be enough unless bennies are great. Right now the right gig outweighs salary but I can't go too low.
Sharks bleed teal.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: The Job Thread
« Reply #123 on: January 17, 2008, 08:57:15 PM »
Still working on something new for the new year. Secured an interview for the 24th. This is with a large not for profit business, pay OK, bennies good, solid and recession proof I think.  Also trying to get into two tech companies. Not getting anywhere fast but not giving up.

How's everyone else doing?
Sharks bleed teal.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 17, 2008, 11:26:55 PM »
Still working on something new for the new year. Secured an interview for the 24th. This is with a large not for profit business, pay OK, bennies good, solid and recession proof I think.  Also trying to get into two tech companies. Not getting anywhere fast but not giving up.

I must say, I've fallen into good fortune with my TIME gig.  It really is work I'm cut out for - the powers of OCD used for good rather than evil - and I've pleased the PTB with my work ethic and knowledge bases in the sports and music realms (you'd be surprised how grateful copy desks are to have people with especially specified fields of knowledge).  Will apprise on the status of 85 Years of Great Writing as we get closer to the pub date.

Hope things are developing as they should or could or can for all of you,
Gaz.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 21, 2008, 11:06:52 AM »

I must say, I've fallen into good fortune with my TIME gig.  It really is work I'm cut out for - the powers of OCD used for good rather than evil - and I've pleased the PTB with my work ethic and knowledge bases in the sports and music realms (you'd be surprised how grateful copy desks are to have people with especially specified fields of knowledge).  Will apprise on the status of 85 Years of Great Writing as we get closer to the pub date.

Hope things are developing as they should or could or can for all of you,
Gaz.

I'm still plugging away in the startup, but also still doing so for sweat equity only*, so it's becoming a financial drain.  Keeping my ears open for alternative possibilities.  No clear sign that funding, and with it an actual salary, is coming anytime soon, although we have hit enough milestones to believe that the company is viable.  So it's kind of a waiting game & I just don't know how much longer I (read: my wife & kids) can wait.

*in another 8 weeks I will have secured a solid chunk of options outright, no matter whether I stay or go, and if they ever become worth even a couple bucks a share it will have been worth it.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 25, 2008, 09:49:09 AM »
I may bitch about my job, but one cool perk we've been getting lately is some really interesting speakers of national (and international) stature. We had Tom Brokaw back in November, and this morning we had Madeleine Albright here at the difficult hour of 8am. Very well spoken, and funny at times as well. (She said she teaches a class at Georgetown called "Foreign Policy Toolchest" but she just learned that in current vernacular, "tool" is synonymous with "nerd.") The book she's out flogging is "A Memo to the President Elect" and I'm looking forward to reading it--kind of a laundry list of the things the next president will have to deal with to restore our country's stature in the eyes of the rest of the world.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 25, 2008, 10:38:12 AM »
she just learned that in current vernacular, "tool" is synonymous with "nerd."

I didn't know that.  I thought a tool was more or less the opposite - someone *without* understanding of things.

At any rate, glad the workplace isn't all bad.

BTW, there's an L.A. outfit (I forget its name, this was from a mailing list I'm on) looking for a music editor.  My more recent gigs have actually given me decent qualifications for the position, but I could not stomach the thought of going back to L.A.  I'll stick with what I've got here.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 25, 2008, 10:41:16 AM »

I didn't know that.  I thought a tool was more or less the opposite - someone *without* understanding of things.

I'm not familiar with that meaning either -- y'know, no disrespect to Ms. Albright, but she is rather old.  Methinks she got her facts confused.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 25, 2008, 11:30:42 AM »

I'm not familiar with that meaning either -- y'know, no disrespect to Ms. Albright, but she is rather old.  Methinks she got her facts confused.

Yeah, her interpretation didn't hit me as entirely correct either (I use it to mean corporate pawn), but maybe she was just trying not to offend all the tools in the room.  :D

Besides, it didn't seem the time to correct her on that.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 11:58:44 AM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 21, 2008, 09:58:50 AM »
I'm starting to wonder what it takes to go in a new direction. I'd like to get into the healthcare industry. Seems recession proof. What sounds very interesting to me right now is cancer and nutrition. My whole background to date is business and marketing. Can I gain expertise as a nutritionist and apply it to a relationship with cancer? I'd love to work at Lucille Packard Childrens Hospital or Stanford. I'm not a nurse and have no medical background. Needles freak me out. I'd love to help people and contribute to their well being. When sick kids are in the hospital and families are here to be near them, what jobs are there that help those families?

I think I need to get career information somehow. Training needed, types of jobs available. Salary potential for said field of work. Please offer tips or thoughts on this. Maybe I'm having the proverbial mid-life crisis......
Sharks bleed teal.

John@10

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 22, 2008, 10:22:53 PM »
I'm starting to wonder what it takes to go in a new direction. I'd like to get into the healthcare industry. Seems recession proof. What sounds very interesting to me right now is cancer and nutrition. My whole background to date is business and marketing. Can I gain expertise as a nutritionist and apply it to a relationship with cancer? I'd love to work at Lucille Packard Childrens Hospital or Stanford. I'm not a nurse and have no medical background. Needles freak me out. I'd love to help people and contribute to their well being. When sick kids are in the hospital and families are here to be near them, what jobs are there that help those families?

I think I need to get career information somehow. Training needed, types of jobs available. Salary potential for said field of work. Please offer tips or thoughts on this. Maybe I'm having the proverbial mid-life crisis......

Set up a meeting with HR at Packard. Strictly informational. Tell them exactly what you're thinking, tell them your skills, and ask them what sorts of things you could do without having to go back to school for four years. Then ask them what you could do if you did go back to school. Just find out the possibilities. "Think of all the possibilities, and make a wish!"

Me - I made a serious job change six years ago. Left upper mgmt in high tech because I wanted to be an actual parent to my 2.5 yr old boy. (It was my wife's idea:  "You thought about doing something different?" "You mean, like marketing?" "No, I mean totally outside the industry!") I went way the hell in a different direction:  I became a carpenter and started the odyssey toward being a general contractor. Not your usual thing to start when you're 43 or 44. It can be done, though. I have my license, which means that I have a lot of the headaches I used to have when I was running engineering, but it also means those headaches are mine instead of the company's, and it means I can set my own hours and decide when it's time to go home and be involved with the family.

It can be done.

//John
"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains. Think about that for a while."
--- Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 26, 2008, 06:45:08 PM »
"The Advantages of Closing a Few Doors": timely reading for this thread, perhaps.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/26/science/26tier.html

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 27, 2008, 01:17:23 AM »
"The Advantages of Closing a Few Doors": timely reading for this thread, perhaps.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/26/science/26tier.html

like labrats! :) that's a fun read.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 26, 2008, 02:36:57 PM »
I can't really go into detail right now, but should any of you hear anything involving CNET in the media today, just know that I'm not affected. :(
Let's get right to it.