Author Topic: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life  (Read 274662 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life
« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2006, 11:16:03 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Quote from: "urth"
I may be a bit scarce here today--we have a situation at our office that's taking precedence over most of my thoughts.  One of our editors, James Kim, and his family have been missing since last Saturday when they were supposed to be driving from Portland OR to Gold Beach, which is on 101 in southwestern OR. More info here:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/12/01/BAGJ6MNGK81.DTL

http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/30/cnets-james-kim-and-family-missing-have-you-seen-them/7#comments

Think good thoughts if you would--James is a really nice, gentle guy who is an absolute expert about digital audio.

Thanks.

Oh dear.  Sending love and safety vibrations.  Hoping for the best.  And this is part of why I love you guys - your wonderful compassion for all those around you.  May we all stay strong, and may James and his family return to enjoy a lovely Christmas.

Thanks all for keeping this in your thoughts. There's still no word on what's happened to them, so I keep checking the news sites and KCBS to hear if there are any new developments but so far nothing. Yesterday was probably the worst day I've had at CNET since I've been there, and it had nothing to do with the work. Lots of folks are on edge, holding on to whatever hope they can, hoping to hear some good news. Can't say it's affecting the entire company, but the reviews division (which is the part I work for) is pretty freaked out.

Crossing fingers....
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2006, 11:35:03 AM »
It reminds me how vulnerable we all are. Each day we step outside, drive in our cars, etc... When you leave your loved ones, it could always be the last time you see them. Now I don't think that hardly ever but it undescores that we need to do the best we can with the time we have and be giving as often as we can. Each one of us probably impacts more people than we will ever realize.
Sharks bleed teal.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 03, 2006, 12:43:26 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
It reminds me how vulnerable we all are. Each day we step outside, drive in our cars, etc... When you leave your loved ones, it could always be the last time you see them. Now I don't think that hardly ever but it undescores that we need to do the best we can with the time we have and be giving as often as we can. Each one of us probably impacts more people than we will ever realize.

On a similar note, this morning at Adrian's karate class I saw the mom of two kids that we know from school.  My wife Christina does a lot more drop off/pick up with the kids, so I'm accustomed to not seeing folks for several weeks at a time & then catching up.  I've never been close to Ellen, but our kids had been in the same school for two years & still go to the same karate class.

I noticed that she had lost quite a bit of weight (she's pretty tall & large framed - it was really quite striking), so I commented on it.  After acknowledging the weight loss she asked me if I had heard that she had lost her husband 6 weeks ago.  Of course I hadn't.  He dropped dead on a Saturday morning of either a heart attack or stroke (he had apparently been diagnosed with some relatively serious stress condition, but no one expected anything like this).  He was about my age, and worst of all, his 5 year old daughter was the first one to see him lying on the bathroom floor.  Yikes!  I asked how Will & Rachel were holding up & she said about as well as could be expected, and that they were going to be seeing a counselor beginning this week.  Like I said, my wife and I really didn't know the parents much, but we'll be offering to have the kids over for a play date whenever they'd like.

Definitely had me thinking the exact thoughts that Alicat shared.  Also made me want to update my life insurance policy.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 04, 2006, 03:51:10 PM »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 04, 2006, 04:57:38 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Wife & kids found; husband still missing:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/12/04/BAGR2MP9383.DTL

We've got three-quarters of a happy ending here--just hoping they find James soon!

http://news.com.com/CNET+editors+wife%2C+daughters+found+search+continues/2100-1028_3-6140676.html?tag=cnetfd.mt

Another press conference is scheduled for about 3 minutes from now--hoping we can all breath easy after that.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 04, 2006, 05:26:37 PM »

We've got three-quarters of a happy ending here--just hoping they find James soon!

http://news.com.com/CNET+editors+wife%2C+daughters+found+search+continues/2100-1028_3-6140676.html?tag=cnetfd.mt

Another press conference is scheduled for about 3 minutes from now--hoping we can all breath easy after that.

Heard the press conference, sounds like if he hasn't already gotten into a bad situation they should be able to get him out by morning.  Fingers crossed.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 04, 2006, 05:48:01 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"

Heard the press conference, sounds like if he hasn't already gotten into a bad situation they should be able to get him out by morning.  Fingers crossed.

Really hoping that's not the case. The one thing I found distressing in the press conference was that he was supposed to return to the car by the afternoon on Saturday if he didn't find anything, and he didn't come back. So hoping he's just more lost.

Off to run the press gauntlet--we've got live trucks from all the bay area stations in front of our building tonight.
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 04, 2006, 09:21:00 PM »
Wonderful news. Gave me chills.
Sharks bleed teal.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 06, 2006, 01:11:05 PM »
Condolences Jim and to those at Cnet. Just read James Kim was found. Not a happy ending.
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 06, 2006, 04:54:26 PM »
Condolences Jim and to those at Cnet. Just read James Kim was found. Not a happy ending.

Indeed not. Much sadness and crying at 235 2nd once the news was announced. To our management's credit, they essentially closed doors (for our dept. anyway) and brought in grief counselors as soon as they could get them here. I took a long walk down by the Embarcadero with one of my best friends from the office, just to get away and talk it out.

Don't know too much more yet, but I'm sure it will come out over the coming days. Thanks all here, for your support and positive thoughts. Wish this had ended differently, but life ain't always that way.

Go home and hug your loved ones tonight.
best to all of you,
Jim
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 06, 2006, 10:43:26 PM »

Indeed not. Much sadness and crying at 235 2nd once the news was announced. To our management's credit, they essentially closed doors (for our dept. anyway) and brought in grief counselors as soon as they could get them here. I took a long walk down by the Embarcadero with one of my best friends from the office, just to get away and talk it out.

Don't know too much more yet, but I'm sure it will come out over the coming days. Thanks all here, for your support and positive thoughts. Wish this had ended differently, but life ain't always that way.

Go home and hug your loved ones tonight.
best to all of you,
Jim

Even my first grader was aware of this & my wife was pretty broken up by it.  Pretty much all we talked about around the dinner table tonight, with the emphasis being on keeping it honest but also appropriate for my little ones.  Eventually had today's Chron front page on the table to look at the maps & articles.  My kids are surprisingly sensitive and yet sensible about this stuff (if you know what I mean).

Jim, can I ask a question that I am genuinely curious about?  For you and the rest of the your CNet friends, has the fact that this has made national & even international news (my mother-in-law picked up on this from a Taiwan news-cast for example) made it any better or worse when it comes to dealing with the sadness?  I can see it going both ways at the same time.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 06, 2006, 11:36:44 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Jim, can I ask a question that I am genuinely curious about?  For you and the rest of the your CNet friends, has the fact that this has made national & even international news (my mother-in-law picked up on this from a Taiwan news-cast for example) made it any better or worse when it comes to dealing with the sadness?  I can see it going both ways at the same time.

Well, you're right in that it definitely cuts both ways. On one hand, what started as a fairly personal crisis that I learned about thru an e-mail forwarded from one of our executive editors at EOD last Wednesday, caught the local media Thursday night, and by Monday morning was a national story. As a result, it's been really really hard to escape this any time I turn on a TV or radio or pick up a paper. I've been asked about it by friends, neighbors, and some guy I barely know at my bus stop that happens to know where I work (really). As I've alluded a few times, I have not entered or left our building once since Friday without there being at least one satellite truck parked on our block. To be fair, I have not heard of them being rude or intrusive to any of my coworkers, although there were a few shots on channel 7 tonight of crying women exiting the building that I thought were a little heartless. I flipped on CNN Monday night and Nancy Grace was dissecting the story, and I've heard it made Larry King as well.

On the other hand, it has been somewhat comforting to read the messages of support that people literally from all over the world, not just in the US, have left on our site and others.

But there's an ugly side to that too. One of my fellow CEs was upset today (before the announcement was made) because she had read some particularly ugly comments on SFGate. I don't know the nature of them, but I can guess. Some assholes just like to have a soapbox from which to broadcast their assholishness. And we all know there's no shortage of assholes in this world.

So in rereading my response, I'd have to say overall, it's made it worse. The comments were nice, but I'd rather not be under the microscope.
Let's get right to it.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 03, 2007, 04:34:27 PM »
i'm dancing around my living room. i made it into imdb!!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 03, 2007, 05:17:51 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

and I knew you before you were famous.
Congrats!
Sharks bleed teal.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 03, 2007, 05:31:52 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

WooHoo!  That is so way cool! :D
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing