Author Topic: President-elect Barack Obama  (Read 32602 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
President-elect Barack Obama
« on: November 05, 2008, 12:24:07 PM »
per Mike's request, a good place to start the discussion about hopes, fears, news, the transition team, etc.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 03:47:15 PM by ggould »
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: President-elect Barack Obama
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 12:37:00 PM »
So what do we make of Rahm Emanuel, rumored to be O's WH Chief of Staff?  The right will not be happy, they hate his ass. You'd think Rahm would be more interested in running for O's about-to-be-vacant Senate seat.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 03:19:15 PM »
So what do we make of Rahm Emanuel, rumored to be O's WH Chief of Staff?  The right will not be happy, they hate his ass. You'd think Rahm would be more interested in running for O's about-to-be-vacant Senate seat.

The first I've heard of him was this morning on KQED when Michael Krasny and guests mentioned his new role.  they said he's disliked by many Dems as well.  They called it a pick based of efficacy, and not popularity.

~CPL593H~

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 04:09:49 PM »
MSNBC broke this last night while I was watching, he's a Mayor Daley protege, and his brother Ari is the real-life model for Jeremy Piven's Ari character on Entourage.  Chris Matthews & Howard Fineman described him as a 'guy who knows how to knock heads together' or something like that.  I'm thinking Pelosi could use a knock on the head.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 04:16:36 PM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 04:18:57 PM »

Betcha dimes to dollars that Jesse Jackson III gets the Senate appointment from Illinois Gov. Blagojevich, who then gets to appoint JJ3's and Emanuel's replacements in the House.

ETA:  I just saw that Michelle was a high school classsmate of JJ3's sister.   Suppose the Obama's might have a preference?  ::)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 04:44:22 PM by mshray »

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 04:23:27 PM »

Betcha dimes to dollars that Jesse Jackson III gets the Senate appointment from Illinois Gov. Blagojevich, who then gets to appoint JJ3's and Emanuel's replacements in the House.

funny (insightful?) SFGate user comment about O's Emmanuel pick:

I think he may come to regret this choice. Rahm Emmanuel makes Iago look like Doug Henning.

~CPL593H~

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 04:38:06 PM »
If you were watching the end of Barack's speech last night in Chicago, did you notice the really tall black guy that came on stage when all the kids, grandkids and even Biden's mom came out?  That's Michelle's brother, Craig Robinson, who is the new head basketball coach at Oregon State (replacing John Jay, a Lute Olson protege if you follow these things).

OSU has been the Pac-10 doormat for several years now, but you think he just got some extra job security?

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 12:09:01 PM »
Update on names floating for Obama admin top spots:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081107/ap_on_el_pr/obama_potential_appointees

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 04:23:06 PM »
Hey look, Obama's already stimulating the economy! :o
Gun Enthusiasts Stock Up
Fear of a crackdown by Obama and Democratic Congress spurs a buying spree.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/11/07/national/a105908S50.DTL&tsp=1

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 10:16:20 AM »
This almost choked me up.

“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 04:24:57 PM »

but then you saw the last picture and realized the kid on the left is actually saying "F*** You" in English hand gestures, you got a little angry, right?  me too!

"eff off, Tories!"
===========

) :) :) <- these smileys indicate I mean this to be an impersonal joke!  I'm not trying to be mean!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 04:27:12 PM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 09:09:28 AM »

Well it totally choked me up!

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 09:58:26 AM »
Did you catch recent South Park?  Its been repeated several times since Wed.  In the episode, its election night and half the town is partying drunk in celebration of Obama win, while other half is either suicidal or planning to go into underground bunker for awhile due to the coming "Change."  The parallel plot is that Obama and McCain teams were in collaboration all along waiting for Election Night, for the opportunity to get winner into the White House Oval Office alone for access to secret tunnel under President's desk, as tunnel goes beneath Smithsonian, where they dig branch tunnel to get into museum to steal the Hope diamond, a la films Mission Impossible, National Treasure.  Palin is in on it too, revealing that her accent is fake, her real voice, demeanor is like that of the no-nonsense female boss of 007 in last Bond film. Funny stuff.  Here's a 2-min clip:
www.southparkstudios.com/clips/209730/?tab=featured

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 10:04:02 AM »
Did you catch recent South Park?  Its been repeated several times since Wed.  In the episode, its election night and half the town is partying drunk in celebration of Obama win, while other half is either suicidal or planning to go into underground bunker for awhile due to the coming "Change."  The parallel plot is that Obama and McCain teams were in collaboration all along waiting for Election Night, for the opportunity to get winner into the White House Oval Office alone for access to secret tunnel under President's desk, as tunnel goes beneath Smithsonian, where they dig branch tunnel to get into museum to steal the Hope diamond, a la films Mission Impossible, National Treasure.  Palin is in on it too, revealing that her accent is fake, her real voice, demeanor is like that of the no-nonsense female boss of 007 in last Bond film. Funny stuff.  Here's a 2-min clip:
www.southparkstudios.com/clips/209730/?tab=featured

Using the "Hope" diamond (GET IT?) was a nice touch.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 11:21:12 AM »