Author Topic: KA-BOOM!  (Read 26746 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
KA-BOOM!
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2007, 09:49:00 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
So, with only four days until KaBoom...has anyone here made plans to attend?  I'd like to go to see Ozomatli & Guster, and I'm willing to sit through KWS to have agood seat for the fireworks.

I'll do my usual driving-up-to-Twin Peaks thing, no desire to be part of the madding crowd. But don't forget it costs more the day of the show ($15 as opposed to $10).
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
KA-BOOM!
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2007, 05:35:26 PM »
So I'm walking home from the gym this afternoon, down Valencia St, and 2 Early-Twentysomething Women are behind me.

ETW#1: (hangs up on her cel, turns to ETW#2) "They're going to the fireworks."
ETW#2: "There's fireworks? What's the occasion?"
ETW#1: "Oh, it's 'the KFOG Kaboom'", she says with rather sarcastic quotation marks around "KFOG Kaboom".
ETW#2: laughs as if "KFOG Kaboom" is the most retarded thing, like, evah.

Aren't these 2 ETWs the target demo (at least as far as the salesguys are concerned)?  Does this bode well for KFOG?

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
from the top of Portola
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2007, 11:49:33 PM »
raced to our usual spot, hooked up with some friends, and got some good use of my phone headphones and FM tuner.  I really enjoyed it, and wished I was down at the pier.  My friends were from our church, and our service is being shut down in a couple weeks by our control-freak pastor, and I was really rockin' out to the church lyrics in "One" tonight.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: from the top of Portola
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2007, 10:50:09 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
raced to our usual spot, hooked up with some friends, and got some good use of my phone headphones and FM tuner.  I really enjoyed it, and wished I was down at the pier.  My friends were from our church, and our service is being shut down in a couple weeks by our control-freak pastor, and I was really rockin' out to the church lyrics in "One" tonight.

Forgive my agnostic cynicism, but aren't all pastors control freaks?  :wink:

I was at my usual spot too, nicely done as always. Best effect: the smiley faces during "Shiny Happy People".  Nicest muscial surprise: the Bono/Mary J Blige version of "One", which KFOG oughta play far more often (if they even have it in regular rotation at all).

But what, exactly, was "expanded" about these fireworks?  They lasted 20 minutes like they always do; they didn't include anything we haven't seen before. So why did they incessantly refer to them in the promos as "expanded" (except to justify the $10)?

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
KA-BOOM!
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2007, 06:01:03 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
So I'm walking home from the gym this afternoon, down Valencia St, and 2 Early-Twentysomething Women are behind me.

ETW#1: (hangs up on her cel, turns to ETW#2) "They're going to the fireworks."
ETW#2: "There's fireworks? What's the occasion?"
ETW#1: "Oh, it's 'the KFOG Kaboom'", she says with rather sarcastic quotation marks around "KFOG Kaboom".
ETW#2: laughs as if "KFOG Kaboom" is the most retarded thing, like, evah.

Aren't these 2 ETWs the target demo (at least as far as the salesguys are concerned)?  Does this bode well for KFOG?

The M2LTW's I work with and definitely NOT listening to KFOG!

I heard from a sales person at another station that the $10/15 was being used in part for charity. No details on that tho.
Sharks bleed teal.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: from the top of Portola
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2007, 08:33:48 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
But what, exactly, was "expanded" about these fireworks?  They lasted 20 minutes like they always do; they didn't include anything we haven't seen before. So why did they incessantly refer to them in the promos as "expanded" (except to justify the $10)?

There's always a new item or two, I hadn't seen the ones that exploded into the shape of a star before nor the ones that rose up from the ground in slo-mo, and judging from the reactions of those around me neither had they.  But agreed that it wasn't any longer or more spectacular than ususal - if anything I think the finale segment was actually shorter.  Also agree on the two nice touches you mentioned, those stood out for me as well.

Took BART in with my younger son (5-yr-old Di-di) and when we got off at Embarcadero he told me that he saw one of his friends from school.  Sure enough, out of the huge crowd he'd picked out the mom of one of his closest friends, Marlee (all his friends are girls btw).  So we followed them to their favorite spot behind the ferry building & camped out together there.  Good location, and it was nice to have some adult conversation on the ride home to Castro Valley.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KA-BOOM!
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2008, 09:29:31 PM »
DUUUUUUUUDE!!! "Freeeeeeebiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrd"!

Listening to the soundtrack of Kaboom 2008 without the benefit of visuals, as Twin Peaks was completely fogged-in.  Nicely produced, as always, tho' a tad less creative than usual IMHO. Coulda done without Feist, of course, but that's a minor quibble. Didn't they use "Tiny Bubbles" last year too? 

Biggest surprise: the gospelly cover of "Let it Be" from the Across the Universe sndtk, which surely has never been played on KFOG, like, ever.

Am I crazy or was it actually a bit shorter than usual this year? (remember the incessant flogging of "expanded" fireworks last year?)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 09:37:34 PM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2008, 10:46:25 AM »
Biggest surprise: the gospelly cover of "Let it Be" from the Across the Universe sndtk, which surely has never been played on KFOG, like, ever.
I finally saw that movie while in Chicago; my friend Victor rented it for me.  I completely welled up during that scene.  Wow.  The movie had its flaws but it really tugged all the right emotional strings for me.  The director's a good manipulator.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2008, 10:06:14 AM »
DUUUUUUUUDE!!! "Freeeeeeebiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrd"!

Listening to the soundtrack of Kaboom 2008 without the benefit of visuals, as Twin Peaks was completely fogged-in.  Nicely produced, as always, tho' a tad less creative than usual IMHO. Coulda done without Feist, of course, but that's a minor quibble. Didn't they use "Tiny Bubbles" last year too? 

Am I crazy or was it actually a bit shorter than usual this year? (remember the incessant flogging of "expanded" fireworks last year?)

We went with the whole family this year to the same spot behind the Ferry Bldg as mentioned in last years post above, and met up with the same other family.  Fog definitely affected it, about 10% of the stuf was completely obscured fromour angle & all we could see was glowing fog, the rest of the skyshots we could see at least the bottom half of.  Still worth it, but I agree that it seemed shorter.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010