Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1103371 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #1380 on: August 19, 2009, 08:47:01 AM »
Geoff, get yer Jackson Browne request in now: tomorrow on the morning show they're doing songs-that-track-into-other-songs.  Apparently they played the Police, "Driven To Tears", and someone complained that they didn't let it track into "When The World keeps Running Down" (not an example that would've spung immediately to mind for me), and so a discussion began. Zep's "Heartbreaker/Living Loving Maid" is the most obvious example, and this morning they played the Cars "Bye Bye Love/Moving in Stereo," so they must have quite a few more in reserve.

But unless you suggest the JB example from For Everyman, I bet they go with "Load-Out/Stay" from Running on Empty.
I was thinking of Ripple/Brokedown Palace, but Take It Easy/Lady of the Well would be sweet beyond belief
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: August 20, 2009, 08:37:06 AM »
they're playing one of these segued duos each half-hour, roughly.

in the 6:00 hour we got Journey, "Feelin' That Way/Any Time" and INXS, "Need You Tonight/Mediate"
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: August 20, 2009, 08:48:41 AM »
they're playing one of these segued duos each half-hour, roughly.

in the 6:00 hour we got Journey, "Feelin' That Way/Any Time" and INXS, "Need You Tonight/Mediate"

someone call mshray! it's the Robert Palmer "sailin' shoes/sneakin' sally/etc" medley!

"a horn section you resemble
and your figure makes me tremble"
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 08:53:42 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: August 20, 2009, 09:19:22 AM »
hrm... Seger  from Live Bullet, "Travellin' Man/Beautiful Loser". But... don't ALL the tracks on live albums segue into each other? Seems a bit of a cheat to me.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: August 20, 2009, 09:24:13 AM »
hrm... Seger  from Live Bullet, "Travellin' Man/Beautiful Loser". But... don't ALL the tracks on live albums segue into each other? Seems a bit of a cheat to me.

Agreed, but I guess it was a popular Foghead suggestion.  Which means a lot of fogheads have an album I would never even have considered acquiring.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: August 20, 2009, 09:30:49 AM »
don't remember where we discussed Mat Kearny's "Closer to Love" and the "knees/needs" mondegreen. But it sounded like "needs" to me just now.

back to segues: Santana, "Black Magic Woman/Oy Vey Como Va" -- Time for a bathroom break!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: August 20, 2009, 09:31:47 AM »
Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm remembering that "Ironman" into "Electric Funeral" off of Paranoid worked for me.  But I just looked it up, and they are on different sides!  "Ironman" ends side one, "Electric Funeral" opens side two.  So, it only works -- on 8-track.   :P

Another one that works for me is "Why Does Love Got to be So Sad" into "Have You Ever Loved A Woman" on Layla and...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: August 20, 2009, 09:34:54 AM »

Agreed, but I guess it was a popular Foghead suggestion.  Which means a lot of fogheads have an album I would never even have considered acquiring.

LOL!  I actually own it but don't ask when I last listened to it. And it was a key element in expanding his base, nationally (it came right before Night Moves iirc) tho' it ended up overshadowed by that *other* double live LP of '76 by some British fella with curly locks.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: August 20, 2009, 09:42:38 AM »
some British fella with curly locks.

Tim Curry?
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: August 20, 2009, 09:53:27 AM »
some British fella with curly locks.

Tim Curry?

Ha!  but here's another: Percy. (ETA: on his birthday!)  "Heartbreaker/Livin' Lovin Maid" makes its appearance to climax the "Segue Serenade" as Greg dubbed it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 09:56:40 AM by RGMike »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: August 20, 2009, 11:27:23 AM »
don't remember where we discussed Mat Kearny's "Closer to Love" and the "knees/needs" mondegreen. But it sounded like "needs" to me just now.

back to segues: Santana, "Black Magic Woman/Oy Vey Como Va" -- Time for a bathroom break!

has this been discussed before or am I missing something obvious when I say that Matt Kearny sounds just like Coldplay?

and I think it's easily replaced JaznMrz as the kind of KFOG song that I really am growing to dislike.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: August 20, 2009, 11:33:15 AM »

has this been discussed before or am I missing something obvious when I say that Matt Kearny sounds just like Coldplay?

and I think it's easily replaced JaznMrz as the kind of KFOG song that I really am growing to dislike.

I think you mentioned it last week, and I was quick to agree. it's all about sounding like Coldplay at Triple-A.

Give that Massachusetts station "The River" a try, I think you might like:

http://www.wrsi.com/

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: August 20, 2009, 03:04:02 PM »
P.S.  Thanks for the heads-up on Hoff + Sweet.  Listened to several tracks on their MySpace and am severely in love.  Just as I was with the Bangles, if not more.  *Sigh*

note that this is Volume Two of Matthew Sweet and Hoff's collaborations.  Check out Vol One, too!

Sought out some reviews of the CD, and was struck by this line from Ross Langager's pan on PopMatters.com:

Every “new” power-pop tune produced in the last 30 years is already a practical cover of these songs, so producing actual covers of them is redundant.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: August 20, 2009, 09:52:47 PM »
Huh.  I can stand Kearney way more than Coldplay, although that one song is definitely overplayed at this point.  (I remember it when it was still "new", I guess.  Now it's the soundtrack for the iPhone game Tap Tap Revolution.)

Anyways, I was wrong about Black Joe Lewis.  Turns out that database had yet *another* mismatch that I hadn't caught, and it was showing up as: WIDESPREAD PANIC    TRAVELIN' MAN

Going back and fixing things, showed that they have been playing the Sugarfoot track at least once, sometimes twice, every Thursday going back to April.  And then it occasionally gets played on Saturdays.  I guess they're really *trying* to break it in but Fogheads aren't responding the way they'd like.  Everybody who wants to hear them needs to write in.

(I wish they had the balls to just throw a truly new song into regular rotation so that people could really get used to it.  Once a week doesn't really do it.)

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: August 20, 2009, 10:43:13 PM »
Wait.  I confused Mat Kearney with Matt Nathanson.  This "Closer to Love" is definitely getting old.  It's the Matt Nathanson track that's featured in the iPhone game (which is a great free download, btw).