Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 467455 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #1230 on: January 24, 2014, 09:34:58 AM »
2NG is doing an hour of "psychedelic '60s" -- nothing terribly obscure, but They've already played 2 songs heard on this morning's 1967 10@10 on the Peak (Blues Magoos and The Seeds) as well as "Inna gadda Da Vida" (short version). Electric Prunes are surely yet to come.  And here's Max Frost and the Troopers! *swoon*
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: January 24, 2014, 01:16:54 PM »
BIG NEWS: Gory will be going to LA to be part of a new Clear Channel syndicated morning monstrosity called "The Morning Woody" (I kid U not).  It features most of the folks he did mornings with on Live 105 a few years back. It starts in April, so it's not clear how soon he'll leave KFOG, or if the syndicated show will be carried in SF. I can't imagine KFOG (Cumulus) or Live 105 (CBS) would want to get in bed withn Clear Channel, but stranger things have happened.  Could be the perfect segue for AL to return to KFOG (hey, they brought back Webster) but I don't want to get my hopes up.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: January 24, 2014, 01:59:51 PM »
BIG NEWS: Gory will be going to LA to be part of a new Clear Channel syndicated morning monstrosity called "The Morning Woody" (I kid U not).  It features most of the folks he did mornings with on Live 105 a few years back. It starts in April, so it's not clear how soon he'll leave KFOG, or if the syndicated show will be carried in SF. I can't imagine KFOG (Cumulus) or Live 105 (CBS) would want to get in bed withn Clear Channel, but stranger things have happened.  Could be the perfect segue for AL to return to KFOG (hey, they brought back Webster) but I don't want to get my hopes up.

Hey at least this provides an opening, whether they fill it with AL or not, I will welcome the change. (I almost said that whoever takes over can't be any worse than Gory, but caught myself. Yes, they probably can and I would hate find out by how much.)

You think they'll let Gory stick around since he's going to the competition (even if it is in LA)? I know in a lot of industries, if you give notice that you're jumping to a competitor, you might as well head for the door 'cause they're going to show it to you directly.

(All that said, I am crossing my fingers for AL.)
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: January 24, 2014, 02:42:25 PM »

Hey at least this provides an opening, whether they fill it with AL or not, I will welcome the change. (I almost said that whoever takes over can't be any worse than Gory, but caught myself. Yes, they probably can and I would hate find out by how much.)

You think they'll let Gory stick around since he's going to the competition (even if it is in LA)? I know in a lot of industries, if you give notice that you're jumping to a competitor, you might as well head for the door 'cause they're going to show it to you directly.

as I said on FB, it seems odd that this news was announced 3 months in advance, and once the word spreads, you can bet folks will start asking questions on the KFOG FB page; there are no secrets in the age of social media. So I doubt he'll be around until mid-April. Now if they could just steal Irish Greg away from Don Bleu...

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: January 24, 2014, 02:44:48 PM »
I almost said that whoever takes over can't be any worse than Gory, but caught myself. Yes, they probably can and I would hate find out by how much.)

LOL, yeah.... I would say that Gory is not as bad as Twitch. I'll give him that much. Which is essentially nothing.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: January 24, 2014, 03:56:20 PM »

as I said on FB, it seems odd that this news was announced 3 months in advance, and once the word spreads, you can bet folks will start asking questions on the KFOG FB page; there are no secrets in the age of social media. So I doubt he'll be around until mid-April. Now if they could just steal Irish Greg away from Don Bleu...

just a guess, but AL being released by KFOX prob got KFOG to thinking about how they could re-vamp their morning show.  I don't listen to it, but last time I did it was pee-yoo-ish.
~CPL593H~

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: January 25, 2014, 05:31:43 PM »

I'd love to see AL back too, though not IG who makes my ears bleed. :-X.  I don't see Gory going to a competitor being much of an issue though as he worked at CC before (Channel 92.3) and before that CBS...doesn't seem like it would do them good to grind an axe over DJs going to where they can find work.  Also, why pay severance to get rid of someone a month or two early who's going to quit anyway, when they could just wait it out, and in the meantime look for a new DJ?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: February 19, 2014, 08:50:57 PM »
Tonite the jock on Oldies 103.7, in his outro to "Beach Baby", managed to refer to First Class as "a Beach Boys satellite band" (er, what?), "a British surf group" (uh... no), "a collection of studio musicians" (yes) and "a group whose other big hit that you might know was 'Windy'" (!?!). Well, one out of four, bub. Seriously, wherethefuck do they find these people??
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 09:00:07 PM by RGMike »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: March 02, 2014, 06:03:24 PM »
The BFT kiss of death tour continues. Per his column a couple weeks ago, he recently guested on Piers Morgan's show on CNN. And now Morgan has been given his walking papers.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
caught on the Twitter feed
« Reply #1239 on: March 26, 2014, 09:09:20 PM »
I'm not sure what's the best thread for this, but tonight I noticed one of the tweets was for a UK 10@10 show:

http://www.sfmradio.com/10-10-els-sittingbourne
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: April 07, 2014, 12:07:09 PM »
This morning on 98.1 Kiss FM, Renell did a little bumper to sign off her show and the music playing underneath was Grace Jones' "Pull Up To The Bumper".  He heh
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: April 07, 2014, 07:53:22 PM »
This morning on 98.1 Kiss FM, Renell did a little bumper to sign off her show and the music playing underneath was Grace Jones' "Pull Up To The Bumper".  He heh

they use that bumper a lot -- but I don't think they ever actually play the song in rotation.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: April 16, 2014, 09:35:14 AM »
Listening to KPOO's Wednesday morning Blues show, which is being guest-hosted by Jim from the Grinder's Grooveyard today, and Geoff will be delighted to hear that he just played Green-era Fleetwood Mac, "Showbiz Blues" -- blooze that DIDN'T make me snooze!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: May 20, 2014, 03:28:11 PM »
latest take-with-grain-of-salt rumor is that KGO is going to reinvent itself by going back to its talk-show format in a few months. And that simulcasting it on FM is a possibility... meaning that either KFOG or The Bone, the 2 FMs owned by Cumulus, would bite the dust. 

(this is via Lieberman, of course, so as I say... take with a LARGE grain of salt)

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: May 21, 2014, 03:30:35 PM »
latest take-with-grain-of-salt rumor is that KGO is going to reinvent itself by going back to its talk-show format in a few months. And that simulcasting it on FM is a possibility... meaning that either KFOG or The Bone, the 2 FMs owned by Cumulus, would bite the dust. 

(this is via Lieberman, of course, so as I say... take with a LARGE grain of salt)

Just out of curiosity, is Lieberman ever right about anything? I mean, I know that corporate radio has a history of fucking things up, bleah, bleah, but it seems every one of his KFOG-related predictions have missed by a country mile.