Author Topic: 13 Nov 2013: it's... 1975  (Read 6829 times)

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: 13 Nov 2013: it's... 1975
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2013, 10:38:52 AM »
This Leon Russell song wins the award for the "Song mostly likely performed and produced by Muppets" category
Haha, I can see  the flamingos and monkeys climbing on his piano now.
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 11:28:58 AM »
BOS Wings Rock Show -- overplayed though it may be, still sounds good to me.
Would have preferred Magneto and Titanium Man, but way to much to hope for I guess...

You and me both -- I begged AL for "M&TM" to no avail.  It has been played on the Drive's 10@10 a few times.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 11:31:13 AM »
This Leon Russell song wins the award for the "Song mostly likely performed and produced by Muppets" category
Haha, I can see  the flamingos and monkeys climbing on his piano now.

Speaking of songs that should be Muppet-ized: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTlENVT12xY
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 10:31:04 PM »
another DC-era LN-fest, mostly.
BOS for the Feat.

+1.  Listening to Little Feat helped me get through the Great Music Drought of the late '70s.  (grin)
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2013, 09:47:33 AM »
BOS for the Feat.

+1.  Listening to Little Feat helped me get through the Great Music Drought of the late '70s.  (grin)

BTW, dischead, on your recommendation, I acquired a copy of the 801 Live.  I quite like it...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2013, 10:14:23 AM »
Lowell George's shoe size was 9½.  I'd say that's Medium Feet.

Shoot, that's my shoe size, and I've always been a bit miffed about my small, dainty feet. Then again, I'm almost six feet tall, so maybe Mr. George's feet were in better proportion to his body.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2013, 12:31:05 PM »
BOS for the Feat.
BTW, dischead, on your recommendation, I acquired a copy of the 801 Live.  I quite like it...

I'm glad you're enjoying it.  The other 801 albums are a bit flat in comparison, so my appropriate
recommendation if you want to hear more of the same would be Phil Manzanera's Diamond Head,
released in... 1975.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2013, 10:46:51 PM »
BOS for the Feat.

I'm glad you're enjoying it.  The other 801 albums are a bit flat in comparison, so my appropriate
recommendation if you want to hear more of the same would be Phil Manzanera's Diamond Head,
released in... 1975.

I'd also suggest checking out a couple of Eno's solo records. I'd recommend Here Come the Warm Jets or maybe Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy). Not quite the same as 801 Live (or Diamond Head for that matter) but they'll give you an idea of where Eno's influence entered into 801, and they include a song or two that also appeared on 801 Live.  Another personal fave of mine is Before and After Science. A bit more contemplative (in places) than his earlier work, but I'd call it a masterpiece nonetheless.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 10:48:22 PM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2013, 10:29:11 PM »
BOS for the Feat.
released in... 1975.
I'd also suggest checking out a couple of Eno's solo records. I'd recommend Here Come the Warm Jets or maybe Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy). Not quite the same as 801 Live (or Diamond Head for that matter) but they'll give you an idea of where Eno's influence entered into 801, and they include a song or two that also appeared on 801 Live.  Another personal fave of mine is Before and After Science. A bit more contemplative (in places) than his earlier work, but I'd call it a masterpiece nonetheless.

One of the things that makes 801 Live great is that it is well-balanced; in particular Brian Eno's
quirkiness is contained.  While your recommendations are good, one must be cautioned that
Eno's eccentricities are in full flower on his solo albums.  My next suggestion after Diamond
Head
would be Manzanera's 1978 release, K-Scope.

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2013, 08:28:49 PM »
Eno's eccentricities are in full flower on his solo albums.

Which is why he's THE cult hero for so many art rockers
Slipping into something
And out of something else

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2013, 05:18:02 PM »
Eno's eccentricities are in full flower on his solo albums.
Which is why he's THE cult hero for so many art rockers

As with many self-indulgent art projects, when they're good they can be great.  When they're not...
they can be tedious at best.